Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

Vent thread *explodes*

SD

Re: Vent thread *explodes*

Post by SD on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Lord Grey II wrote:
    Cuboos wrote:i see people use the f-word here all the time.

Because I was asked to look, I'm gonna clarify what's going on.

Yes, people have used... damn, I feel childish using the phrase... the f-word in the past. What's important to not is that this isn't the only place we talk to those people. I submit for your consideration, the chatbox and IRC. I know that I and the other mods talk to some of the other forum members in email and instant messengers. Every recent usage of the f-word by anybody has been asked either on the forum or on one of those other mediums to knock it off.

I do use the word recent, because it is a relatively recent decision. We've been pretty lax in the past about swearing because forum traffic wasn't that high. Lately, it has picked up, and so we're enforcing the rules a tad more strictly than in the past.

So, and this goes for everybody, not just Cuboos, no using the f-word, alright? This forum is PG-13 by Liz's demand, and we're following her example. A good guideline to follow: If it appears in the comic, it's ok to say. Pretty much, this is every single swear except the f-word. Just don't go overboard with the swearing, don't use the f-word, and you're good.

No warnings have been issued on that basis yet, but they will be in the future. [/mod]

Also, if you do it, I might be tempted to edit your post and replace the f-word with something ridiculous, in addition to slapping a lovely warning sticker to your account. :3

Is there a profanity filter on these forums? Cause if there is you can just do that and it'll automatically censor words out that people may find offensive by replacing them with a word of who ever sets it choice.
    Cuboos

Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

Post by Cuboos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:03 pm

i disagree. i see absolutely no issues with curse words, you use them, i use them and like i said every one on this forum has used them and i can bet will continue to use them. even Liz has used them in her comics, including "fuck". they're only words, i can understand and agree with moderating their usage so some immature idiot wont use fuck for every single derogatory description. they are only insulting if you let them be.

i submit a proposition to you Teas and anyone else putting too much negativity into an issue this small. Let it slide, what is the worst thats going to happen? most of us here are mature enough that vulgarities aren't going to become a large part of our vocabulary. Allowing them isn't going to discourage anyone from joining but coming down on people who do might. it's going to make them feel unwelcome and give them a bad impression of the moderators and maybe even the community.
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Me, I don't care about swearing at all, really I don't. I don't give a &#^$$%( @$#%&@*)(@$^# $!#*)*** @*$^#%&#@ and *#^&#$!!(#^ing #*%^$)@# (#&^$- you get my drift.

I understand your point. Most, if not all, are perfectly aware of when and when not to curse. However, this is more of a long term thing we're working on. We can't come down on someone in the future for swearing too much when they can point to all the other people that are swearing. After all, it's not like we can draw a line and say "if you swear 3 times in a post, you're fine, but so help you if you swear 4 times..."

It's not that we really disapprove of swearing. It's just that we either ban some words, such as the f-word, or we don't. Since it's clear to us, the mods, that we don't want excessive swearing around here, we have to outright ban.

I think it's a fair compromise to be rid of the 'hard' swear words, such as the f-word, and leave most of the rest.

Addressing the other point; yes indeed, I agree completely. Words only have power that we give them. However, even if everyone here was absolutely ok with it, someone in the future might be seriously offended by a casual use. This leads to misunderstandings via flaming or trolling, and I think it hurts the community more if we're seen as vulgar. So I'd prefer that we keep it clean.

However, I am perfectly willing to ask for a second opinion. The opinion that matters around here. Admin, summon! *thunder crash*

Post by Cuboos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 pm

there's no such thing as a hard vulgarity, it's a word plain and simple. and i can just about guarantee that no future members will be offended. I've lurked the internet since i was 13, been to several different forums and even moderated a few before. and from my experience there isn't going to be an issue with vulgarities on small communities. Liz's comics have some adult themes in there. when i joined i expected from this forum mostly what i got, though in all honesty i didn't expect there to be any issue at all with swearing. and i can guarantee one hundred percent that no one will see us as a vulgar community if we allow a more laid back approach to vulgarity control. if some one is abusing it, deal with them, don't make some thing less comfortable for every one because of one person's ignorance.
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Grey asked me to come and put in my 2 cents.

While understand arguments to the contrary, I don't think curse words should be banned outright. Let's be honest; if you're on the internet, you've seen every word in the book already. So just using a word, to me, isn't that big a deal. Even if it's Fuck (there ya go, I said it).

Cursing in itself is not bad, or aggressive, or offensive (for the most part). It's how it's used. And you can be just as offensive - even more so - without using a single bad word. I think the general attitude of what curse words can represent is what's the problem, not the words themselves.

So in summary: if someone happens to have the word "Fuck" in their post, let it slide. If they're using it in context of "F* you guy, you F* suck, go f* your dog with a chainsaw" etc etc, that's the problem. The message is more important than the individual words.

...and that's all I gotta say about that. Neutral

Post by Lord Grey II on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 pm

There you have it. Free reign people! :3

Course, if you go absolutely apeshit with the cursing, we'll still come down on you. Context is everything, as Liz said, so we're gonna use our best judgement.

Admin

Post by Lizardbeth on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:45 pm

sure, it's technically free reign. But keep in mind that cursing like a sailor doesn't earn tons of respect either. Wink So curse if you must, but don't go overboard if you wanna be taken somewhat seriously.

Post by Cuboos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:52 pm

i argued on the internet and won!
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Cuboos wrote:i argued on the internet and won!

That's called gloating and is a tad trollish!

Not towards me, of course, but I'm gonna say right now I know there's gonna be at least one person upset with you for it.

Just sayin'.

Post by Cuboos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Lord Grey II wrote:
    Cuboos wrote:i argued on the internet and won!

That's called gloating and is a tad trollish!

Not towards me, of course, but I'm gonna say right now I know there's gonna be at least one person upset with you for it.

Just sayin'.

... yeah... alright i'll admit that was in bad tast... my bad...
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:25 am

Kids can access the forum from the school computers and can be suspended if the teachers see them readin' stuff with "swearwords". Same goes for Public Libraries computers, endin' up with the people gettin' banned from the libraries.

Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:33 am

She makes a good point. I don't want to limit who can access the forum, after all.

Speaking as a group for the mods, we've been taking our cue from this:
    Lizardbeth wrote:
    • I would like the forums to be safe for reading at work or by a younger (18 and under) audience. Therefor, please try to keep discussions over a pg 13 rating to a minimum. If you have to discuss them, please put a "NSFW" in the title of your thread as a warning for those who do not wish to view such topics. I don't want to censor you, but keep in mind that some people don't want to read about certain things... expecially when their boss might come peaking over their shoulder.

I'm on the fence on this debate, really. But it's legal until Liz says otherwise.

Post by Nilo Kaal on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Lizardbeth wrote:sure, it's technically free reign. But keep in mind that cursing like a sailor doesn't earn tons of respect either. Wink So curse if you must, but don't go overboard if you wanna be taken somewhat seriously.

Cursing like a sailor? D:
    SD

Post by SD on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Nilo Kaal wrote:
    Lizardbeth wrote:sure, it's technically free reign. But keep in mind that cursing like a sailor doesn't earn tons of respect either. Wink So curse if you must, but don't go overboard if you wanna be taken somewhat seriously.

Cursing like a sailor? D:

Yes a sailor, like those in the navy. Very Happy
    Cuboos

Post by Cuboos on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Teasealot wrote:Kids can access the forum from the school computers and can be suspended if the teachers see them readin' stuff with "swearwords". Same goes for Public Libraries computers, endin' up with the people gettin' banned from the libraries.

that won't happen if theres a few words here and there, i went of forums all the time back in high school, even ones that had a maturer rating then this. they had allot of swearing on them, and so long as i didn't start saying them at school or --like our previous discussion they weren't in an unnecessary excess, no body is going to care. Librarians and Teachers aren't stupid, they're pretty good at judging what they see.
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Guidelines of what is allowable content accessible in schools and libraries have been tightened within the last two years.

Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 pm

"Safe for younger audience" means things like "adult" material. Curse words are in PG-13 movies, which is why I'm not concerned about them.

Post by SD on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 pm

I think if this discussion shows anything it's that there needs to be a standardized list of rules so interpretation becomes less of an issue.
    SD

Post by SD on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:40 pm

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MajorNelson+%28Major+Nelson+%28Xbox%29%29%29

Microsoft decided that after 8 years of Xbox Live it's time to raise the prices. Granted it's only by $10 but the issue is that the general consensus of the spoken majority is that they don't want an increase for features that they're never going to use.

Personally I'm with them on this since all I want to do with the Live service is to play games online and download content for the games I regularly play. Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, Last FM, and the up coming ESPN and Hulu add ons aren't interesting to me in the slightest and are never used.

I don't understand the forced price increase, instead they should offer a new level for people who are interested in the add ons. But this is Microsoft and they try to rape your wallet any way they can.
    LyonPride

Post by LyonPride on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 am

I'm actually not surprised by the Xbox price increase. As technology improves so must the equipment that runs that technology (a.k.a. the servers that Xbox uses to support their Xbox Live service).

I am still a bit disappointed by the price increase but it take a lot of money to maintain something so large and the only place to obtain that money is from the subscriptions that you sell.

Looking at this from Microsoft's standpoint they held a reasonable price for their Live service for a very long time but now they are offering a higher powered Xbox and if their servers do not keep up with their Xbox's then people players will not pay for service any longer. This price increase will definitively mean their service will improve, but it may be awhile before the players see this improvement. So, stick with them. Microsoft is usually not a company that wants to stick it to their customers.
    SD

Post by SD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:09 pm

We already know the main new features will be ESPN and Hulu, add on top of Facebook, Twitter, Net Flix and other possible features that have been added since it's obvious why the price is increase.

But the spoken majority doesn't take advantage of these features and the only gamers I see going for ESPN are the EA Sports folks. Why do I have to pay extra to cover the cost of ESPN when I get it on cable and the internet? Same goes for Hulu and Net Flix, I don't need those features. Last FM is a joke since I can stream my music library to my 360. Twitter and Facebook? Yeah they already have free service and I don't really feel like going through my 360 to access them.

This is the issue I have, I know that's the reason to the price hike. $10 doesn't sound like a lot, but it'll cover all of the features that personally I don't want.

I know that there are people who want to use it though which is why personally I think it's smarter to introduce a new membership level that has these features. People who want to use them can and will pay the new price, people who don't want them can continue to use the current Gold level and still pay the same amount now.
    LyonPride

Post by LyonPride on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 pm

By offering this Microsoft would create a rift among their customers by creating a higher class of Live membership, and that is corporate suicide. By creating this rift players who purchase the lower grade service would see the advertisements for the higher grade service and immediately regret their purchase, but when they upgraded to the higher grade they might be disappointed with what they receive and come to hate the service altogether.

By offering just one service at a higher cost than before they avoid this headache and leave their customers with only two choices: either buy the subscription or stop using the service.
    SD

Post by SD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Frankly man, that's a bunch of bull shit. If you do your research before making a financial decision on multitier subscription services you shouldn't be disappointed and since Microsoft offers at least one month free for new accounts they can experience the service before making a payment.

I know that all of those features are there and I never use them. So if an ad comes up to "Upgrade to Platinum level and have access to more features!!!" I can ignore it. In fact as I have been repeating the spoken majority doesn't care about those features and feel as though they're the reason for the price increase which makes sense.

And besides it wouldn't be difficult to upgrade an account and unless your term was coming up you would only have to pay the difference between the accounts.

Frankly right now Microsoft is making a poor decision, people who were on the fence about Xbox Live usually think "Well for $10 more I can buy a new game." Now? What's to stop them from rightly ignoring it.
    SaneIntolerant

Post by SaneIntolerant on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Earlier today, Steve Jobs announced that the iPod Touch has outsold the Nintendo DS and PSP combined. According to him, this makes it the "number one portable game player."

I would like to preface my following statements by saying that I am in no way an Apple basher. I envy my girlfriend's Macbook and own an iPod Touch myself and think it's a perfectly fine piece of machinery.

But I'm sorry, Jobs, selling more iPods than either the DS or the PSP does not make the Touch the "number one portable gaming system." It makes it a frickin' mp3 player.

There is a difference between buying a DS and playing Star Fox Command and buying an iPod, downloading a free app of Tetris, and playing it whenever you're waiting for the bus.

Your product is not the almighty be all, end all of portable gaming. No one is going out and buying an iPhone thinking "OH MAN, I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY SOME VIDEO GAMES." You are not better than Sony, and you are certainly not better than Nintendo.
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Someone thinks they can be discreet with their advertising...Ironic really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 am