Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

Official Video Game Thread

Blackwolf

Re: Official Video Game Thread

Post by Blackwolf on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah, ME 1
    and at the risk of sounding stupid, where are these forums ? link would be galdly accepted
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Agh, I'm afraid I can't find the exact same posts, but here's a general fix that may or may not work.
    It didn't work for me, although hopefully you'll have more luck than I did. God speed, sah!
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:24 am

Alas no, still virtually unplayable due to roughly a 5 second delay between input and onscreen action. Damnit I wanna save Wrex
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Oh crikey.
    Sounds like something different to what I've got. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    SD

Post by SD on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

So on the subject of Mass Effect I was looking through the 360 game add on library to see what was what with ME DLC and found a Mass Effect 2 demo. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although Shepard's voice actor gave me a case of the "Meh"s. Course that's the only bad thing I can think of. Probably won't do the whole "Transfer your demo progress to the main game" since I'm going to try and go through ME 1.
    Kvothe

Post by Kvothe on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 am

Dead Space 2 Demo out today! For 360 and PS3, at least.

Back to squashing legless necromorphs under Issac's curb stomp of AWESOME! GRAHHHHH!
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

has Serious Sam Gold Edition
    (just hope I don't have a ME issue with it)
    Still can't get it to run correctly

SD

Post by SD on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Two weeks and I very well may not be getting sleep for a while.
    SD

Post by SD on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Bloodgulch...in WoW. Wat?
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I choose not to comment on WoW, people who know me, know my feelings on it
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 pm

CURSE YOU MASS EFFECT
    SD

Post by SD on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Yup. It's an amazing time consumer.
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Blackwolf wrote:CURSE YOU MASS EFFECT

SD wrote:Yup. It's an amazing time consumer.

Nope, Steam refuses to run it properly so he can't get to play it n his new tower.

SD

Post by SD on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 am

Teasealot wrote:
    Blackwolf wrote:CURSE YOU MASS EFFECT

SD wrote:Yup. It's an amazing time consumer.

Nope, Steam refuses to run it properly so he can't get to play it n his new tower.

Well that's Steam being Steam and further proving the point that digital distribution will never beat out having an actual physical copy.
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 am

SD wrote:Well that's Steam being Steam and further proving the point that digital distribution will never beat out having an actual physical copy.

Oooooor that Steam just hasn't got it right yet. Or, for him, that there's something funky with the settings.

Digitization will beat out physical copies, if it hasn't already done so. It's cheaper, it's more convenient, it's better for the environment, etc etc. You only have to look at other areas of physical vs digital to see this path. Newspaper, anyone?

Post by Cypher on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 am

I've been using Steam for about a year now, never had problems with it. I like having my games stored online because I always end up losing/scratching/destroying my hard-copy CDs or their respective keys.

I've been trying to finish New Vegas, but with it crashing every half-hour the going is slow. Bethesda needs to put some money into quality control, because this is one of the worst games in terms of resource management and performance that I've seen in awhile.
    SD

Post by SD on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 am

Lord Grey II wrote:
    SD wrote:Well that's Steam being Steam and further proving the point that digital distribution will never beat out having an actual physical copy.

Oooooor that Steam just hasn't got it right yet. Or, for him, that there's something funky with the settings.

Digitization will beat out physical copies, if it hasn't already done so. It's cheaper, it's more convenient, it's better for the environment, etc etc. You only have to look at other areas of physical vs digital to see this path. Newspaper, anyone?

Newspaper is still around last I saw, and surprisingly it's not going anywhere any time soon. Also comparing games to a newspaper isn't really a good comparison. Newspapers last for about a day, games can last for much longer.

The thing with digital copies is that they have potential to become corrupted, with physical copies you don't have as much worry. The only reason why it's cheaper is because there's no packaging involved. I fail to see how it's more convenient because it's not that hard to put a disc in a computer or game console. The only reason it's better for the environment is because of people who throw out video games without considering to sell them or don't take care of their games.

It's not difficult to take care of your games and the only advantage I see with Steam or any digital distribution service is that it saves space for your room.

And if Steam hasn't gotten Mass Effect, a game that's been out for a little over a year, right yet that should tell you how defunct the system is. If it's a settings issue I doubt it's something Mike switched, which should tell you that once again Steam is still buggy as hell.
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm

SD wrote:Newspaper is still around last I saw, and surprisingly it's not going anywhere any time soon. Also comparing games to a newspaper isn't really a good comparison. Newspapers last for about a day, games can last for much longer.

It's not a great comparison in the sense that they're completely different forms of information and entertainment, but it's an excellent analogy for the purpose of debating about the digitization of media. Yes, newspapers are still around. So are books. So are lots of things that can be potentially digitized. We're in a transition stage; digitization is something that will happen as opposed to has already happened.

And newspapers are definitely a dying form of media. Have you seen anything on the stock prices of newspaper businesses in recent years? Or how many newspapers have collapsed due to lack of interest? Sure, they still exist, and will continue to exist for some years yet. I'd give it 5, maybe 10 years before it goes the way of floppy disks, cassette tapes, and VCRs. It's obsolete.

And, to complete the analogy, that's the way the physical forms of video games will go. Steam has made excellent strides towards that.

The thing with digital copies is that they have potential to become corrupted, with physical copies you don't have as much worry. The only reason why it's cheaper is because there's no packaging involved. I fail to see how it's more convenient because it's not that hard to put a disc in a computer or game console. The only reason it's better for the environment is because of people who throw out video games without considering to sell them or don't take care of their games.

It's not difficult to take care of your games and the only advantage I see with Steam or any digital distribution service is that it saves space for your room.

The thing with physical copies is that they have the potential to become lost, broken, or scratched; with physical copies you don't have as much worry.

Wait, I see what I did there. Furthermore, it's a lot easier to fix/repair/replace a digital file than a broken CD. What with patches, workarounds, and hell, Steam will allow you to re-download games you've already purchased (to the same computer) if your game becomes corrupted.

"The only reason" is a deadly good reason indeed. Corporations seek any and all ways to increase profits, if you weren't aware. Eliminating the need to produce packaging and the CD itself seems pretty damn good to me, and I'm sure there are some further profitable benefits beyond what I can think of off the top of my head.

It's more convenient, as you said, for storage, but it's also more convenient in terms of actually obtaining the game. A digital version of something is never out of stock; at most, a server is clogged by too many requests for the download. A company can't under or over-produce the game (which ties back into profits).

And your "only reason" for the environment is... still a damn good one. I think eliminating trash is a lot easier than changing the individuals of society to be more considerate of other people, let alone the environment, don't you?

And if Steam hasn't gotten Mass Effect, a game that's been out for a little over a year, right yet that should tell you how defunct the system is. If it's a settings issue I doubt it's something Mike switched, which should tell you that once again Steam is still buggy as hell.

My point wasn't that Steam didn't get ME right, my point was that Steam wasn't perfect in its execution of digitizing games yet. It has, however, made great strides for it. I acknowledge that Steam has some problems. I do not, however, agree that this is reason to dismiss the idea of digitizing media.

Post by Teasealot on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Guys, chill. Mike downloaded ME from Steam. ME runs and reacts so slowly to user input that it's unplayable (he did everythin' he could think of in game to reduce the lag), and ME2 (installed frm a disc) runs fine with the tiny, small problem of the Sprint/Cover/Use command doesn't work!!!! The keyboard works fine, it's just THAT command that fails.
    We're started to think it's due to Windows 7 as they both worked prefectly well on Mike's old (non-Windows 7) tower.

Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Bosco1513

Post by Bosco1513 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Played it for at least a half an hour. Too fun...
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Teasealot

Post by Teasealot on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Nilo Kaal wrote:http://www.gamestop.com/3DS#&loc=homeflash1?cid=eml_10000080&utm_source=specialnews&utm_medium=email&utm_content=feature&utm_campaign=3ds

The 3DS is finally announced for release and price. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

What is the obsession with makin' EVERTHIN' 3D capable? Just because James Cameron says 3D is awesome doesn't mean EVERYONE wants it. 3D stuff is already gettin' old and borin' as it's EVERYWHERE!!!!!

SD

Post by SD on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Teasealot wrote:
    Nilo Kaal wrote:http://www.gamestop.com/3DS#&loc=homeflash1?cid=eml_10000080&utm_source=specialnews&utm_medium=email&utm_content=feature&utm_campaign=3ds

The 3DS is finally announced for release and price. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

What is the obsession with makin' EVERTHIN' 3D capable? Just because James Cameron says 3D is awesome doesn't mean EVERYONE wants it. 3D stuff is already gettin' old and borin' as it's EVERYWHERE!!!!!

It was old and boring back in the seventies. The only thing the 3DS has on anything else 3-d right now is that you don't need glasses. The only thing I'm happy about the 3DS is that this means the last generation DS is probably going to get a price drop which means I can pick one up.
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm

never thought much of the DS, too light and fragile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 am