Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+30
nirvana
vincent5000x
SaneIntolerant
Cuboos
floppybelly
ShavedIguana
UFAlien
TheJimTimMan
Starcleaver
The Dog
Chesamo
Bosco1513
Coach Fellows
Invalid
crazzycat
Koleyl
LastArcher
Coydog
Teh Chay
Cypher
DannyBoy
Night Dragon
SD
Lord Grey II
Pandora
Teasealot
Blackwolf
Jimbo
Keyou-bi
Nilo Kaal
34 posters

Official Video Game Thread

SD
    SD

Official Video Game Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: Official Video Game Thread

Post by SD Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/08/bulletstorm-worst-game-kids/

Oh Fox News, you tried this with Mass Effect and failed. What makes you think it's going to work this time?
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 am

wait, they tried what with Mass Effect ?
    TheJimTimMan
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Cried about how it would corrupt children and should be banned, restricted, etc.
    All for bit of sideboob and implied liasons with Ms. Williams, iirc.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Blackwolf wrote:wait, they tried what with Mass Effect ?

VIDYA GAME CORRUPT THE YOUTH!!! THEY R BAD!!!

Basically the same song and dance that books, films, tv, and music has gone through.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1149027p1.html -In the Eye of the Bulletstorm

And my favorite part:
    ...The author writes, "Lieberman and others say [ESRB ratings are] useless, because [they aren't] enforced at retail."

I am not aware of any research that supports this statement, but studies by the Federal Trade Commission have shown that the vast majority of retailers honor ESRB ratings and do not sell M-rated games to children. Moreover, these studies have shown that children trying to purchase M-rated video games make fewer successful purchases than children trying to attend R-rated movies or purchase explicit music. Retailers sacrifice legal video game sales and potential profits in order to protect children by abiding by ESRB ratings, even though no laws actually compel them to respect ESRB ratings.

Fox News proven wrong, again, and they also show that there's already an established system in place to prevent minors from getting M-rated games on their own. If it ends up in the hands of the kids' then it's the parents fault and their responsibility, not retailers, not the ESRB, and certainly not game publishers.
    TheJimTimMan
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

The folks at Rock, Paper, Shotgun have done a wonderful job of tearing this apart.

In less depressing news, new Crysis 2 multiplayer trailer has remarkable anti-skepticism effects:

Do want.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:20 pm

TheJimTimMan wrote:
    In less depressing news, new Crysis 2 multiplayer trailer has remarkable anti-skepticism effects:

Do want.

Eehhhhh....played the demo and have to disagree, in fact this brings up an interesting point for me. I don't really understand why FPS games are gravitating to this Perk options style of gameplay. Even Call of Duty (probably the most well know user of the perk system) has a fair amount of issues with the perk system. Really the only reason I think that Black Ops got it "right" is because you have all the perks right away, but you need to spend the in game currency to buy them. Leveling up only unlocks new weapons, which by and large are pretty much the same, there's only a few notable exceptions (like the upgraded anti air rocket launcher) of weapons that should be unlocked sooner or right away. The problem is that certain combination of perks can and will ruin game play mechanics. Modern Warfare 2 had two serious ones, the rushing knifing class and the One Man Army grenade launcher class. The first defeated the point to FPS by essentially removing shooting, and the other made it where a person could constantly resupply his ammo and fire off the instant kill under barrel grenade launcher without ever having to worry about being overrun. I hope that Crytech adopted Treyarch's system since it works well right now, but by the way it sounds that's probably a no.

As for the over all play style, it feels like Halo with slower movement speed, yet has kill times like CoD which are pretty much instant. Not a good combination to me.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 am

as for the "gaming makes kids violent" don't forget table top rpg's have had to deal with this for decades.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Blackwolf wrote:as for the "gaming makes kids violent" don't forget table top rpg's have had to deal with this for decades.

Not to mention an one-way ticket to Hell. Especially D&D (I don't count Fourth Edition, it's just soul-destroyin')
    TheJimTimMan
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:59 pm

SD wrote:[Loadsa text]
    Having not yet played the demo, I can't really comment on matters of game balance. I agree about the whole "important kit being held back as unlocks" thing, though. Bad Company 2, I'm looking at you. A medic without medical equipment is not what I call a medic.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

TheJimTimMan wrote:
    A medic without medical equipment is not what I call a medic.

Nu, he's just the guy who pokes your wounds, looks sorry for you, sighs and says things like, "OOOH, that bullethole looks nasty!!" or "Wish I had a suture to stop this bleedin'"
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 pm

TheJimTimMan wrote:
    Having not yet played the demo, I can't really comment on matters of game balance. I agree about the whole "important kit being held back as unlocks" thing, though. Bad Company 2, I'm looking at you. A medic without medical equipment is not what I call a medic.

I don't mind class based shooters, TF2 is a great example of a class based shooter. But yeah when the majority of the content is restricted at the word go is a hinder. As for Crysis, granted it was a "beta" but since it's coming out in March not many changes are probably going to happen.
    TheJimTimMan
    TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am

These days the big companies use "beta" as code-word for "demo", in a lot of cases. Notable exceptions include the Reach multiplayer beta and the Natural Selection 2 beta. While the Reach beta was used to test balance and server architecture, the NS2 beta is probably closer what an "actual" beta would be like: buggy, missing features, lacking polish but still a playable (and very fun, if the community is to be believed) game that is still in development.
    As for unlockables, I'm fine with them as long as it's not basic kit I'm unlocking. Unlocks should add to the game, give you new ways to approach a situation and (if inteligently used) give you an edge against an opponent, which seems to be the case with the Crysis 2 unlocks for the most part; hence cautious optimism.
    Come to think of it, I'm sick of being catiously optimistic about about new games that have every right to be fresh and exciting. This industry depresses me sometimes.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Was browsing around looking for the Achievement list for Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I saw this little gem.

...Basing an in-game achievement on the cover art of the box would just be ridiculous.

SOMEONE hasn't played Metal Gear Solid. It's been done before, it might be done again.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 am

For all those Zombie Apoc lovers - http://twotowersgames.com/games/rebuild-zombie

--some hints--

Play full screen if possible it's easyer
    Research helps your farms support you
    Churchs & Bars can increase happyness
    To win : Reseach the cure for undeadth in a lab

I completed it in 157 day's but I'm gonna try again for a quicker time and with more than 55 surviours

SD
    SD

Post by SD Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.

*beats someone using MODOK in a humiliating fashion.*

Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3. Very Happy
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm

SD wrote:Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3. Very Happy

Iz it any good?
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Teasealot wrote:
    SD wrote:Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Iz it any good?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. :3

And surprisingly the characters feel mostly well balanced, there are a few that kill the balance but that's usually the case.
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

Post by Cuboos Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

SD wrote:
    Teasealot wrote:

Iz it any good?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. :3

And surprisingly the characters feel mostly well balanced, there are a few that kill the balance but that's usually the case.

i envy you...
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 pm

It has come to my attention that not as many people know of the game "Homeworld" released around 1999 by Relic (the same company that has done the 40K Dawn of War series).
    Playing the campain straight has you as a member of the Kushan race, that has survived on the arid planet Kharak for as long as they can remember. Then during a satellite survey which reveals to be a giant colony ship, a starmap and a single word : Hiigara. Over the course of 60 years a huge mother ship is designed and built with you as the commander.
    It starts with a basic test of the mothership's hyperdrive to meet with a ship with standard drives on the edge of the solar system before returning for final fittings. On exit from the jump, the crew of the Mothership finds the support ship destroyed and the unknown attackers waiting for them. After a emergency jump back which brings them into the middle of their planet being scoured of life and all orbital facilities destroyed and another unknown race intend on destroying the 6 cryotray's which contain the last Kushans not onboard the mothership (60,000).
    After a bloody battle, a ship is captured and the crew interrogated, this informs you that the race, the Taiidani who as the game proceeds, you discover led a galatic coup and forced the Kushan people into exile and banned them from reinventing/using hyperdrive technology.
    The rest of the game is the mothership and its fleet of ships battling to reach Hiigara and free their original homeworld, helped by Imperial Rebels and another race, the Bentusi.

Gameplaywise it's a simple yet effective blend of rescource collection and combat ships ranging from the humble scout or Blade fighter, up to the Avatar Heavy cruiser. Ther is nothing like watching said Heavy Cruiser open up with its main weapons, dual Ion beams. The sound goes right though you. The game even had a multiplayer which made long term playability sore through the roof and also you could play as the Taiidani race vs. the Kushans. The only difference being some race specific ships.

Then in 2000, they released a stand alone game, Homeworld : Cataclysm. This was set several decades after the first. The player was in command of the Explorer-class mining vessel Kuun-Lan. During an attempt by the now fractured Taiidani (Imperial = antagonists and the Republic = friendly with the Hiigarans). During the battle a destroyer is damaged and you are sent to repair it, finding a strange beacon covered in a bio-growth. This then attacks the science team while it's in the ships hold, forcing it to be ejected. The rest of the game deals with your attempts to battle and defeat the entity known as The Beast.

This game uses the same graphics and playability of the same with more upgrades such as energy weapons replacing the standard mass drivers, the removal of fuel and support ships (felt so-so about this one). Fighting the beast ships was a terrifying experience to begin with, not only could certain ships use an "Infection Beam" to infect multiple frigate or smaller ships, they could infect your vessels with Beast Torpedoes. Frigate scale missiles !!.

Yes, I loved this game with a passion, both me and Tease would spend hours playing this in multiplayer, it has also been lauded as the unoffical Battlestar Galatica game.
    All in all, if you get a chance
    PLAY IT !!!!
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm

SIEGE CANNON TO THE FACE!!! SIEGE CANNON TO THE FACE!!! SIEGE CANNON TO THE FACE!!!

You forgot to mention that if you accidently rammed a Beast ship, there was a chance of infection. Which made usin' Ram Frigates and Leeches an extremely scary prospect. Considerin' they HAVE to touch the hull of the enemy ship...
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm

PSN hacks lets users unban themselves, and ban others. http://www.destructoid.com/psn-hack-lets-users-unban-themselves-ban-others-194361.phtml

This is not going to end well in anyway shape or form.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 pm

smacks of attention seeking, though from what I've read if true, only MORONS will be affected and caught out by this
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

I want to play...yet I'm a bit worried I would lose sleep.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

what game is this so I can AVOID it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am