Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like


    News of Interest thread

    Share

    UFAlien

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2010-07-23
    Age : 23
    Location : Western Massachusetts

    New York City Storm

    Post by UFAlien on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 am

    On Thursday, a small, quick storm hit New York City. Inside the city, the storm produced two tornadoes and a macroburst.

    The first tornado was an EF0, the weakest classification of tornado. Another tornado touched down later, a slightly stronger EF1. The second tornado killed a 30-year-old woman when it dropped a tree on the car she was in. Luckily, she was the only person killed in the storm.

    The most damage was caused by the macroburst, a large downward burst of wind from the storm. These winds reached up to 125mph.

    Hundreds, possibly thousands of trees were uprooted by the storm. 37,000 people lost power, at least six houses had roofs torn off, and transportation was widely disrupted.

    Source:

    http://www.lohud.com/article/20100918/NEWS05/100918002/-1/newsfront/Authorities--2-tornadoes-struck-NYC-during-storm-

    Here you can see a video two young, foul-mouthed residents took during the storm. You can see the massive wall of rain approaching, and at one point they appear to be filming the macroburst (despite their repeated insistence they're in a tornado).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCE_qiy-sOQ

    nirvana

    Posts : 6
    Join date : 2010-09-06

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by nirvana on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 am

    [mod edit] Advertising is bad. You've been banned. Politely stop using proxies.

    nirvana

    Posts : 6
    Join date : 2010-09-06

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by nirvana on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am

    [mod edit] Advertising is bad. You've been banned. Politely stop using proxies.

    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Lord Grey II on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:48 am

    UFAlien wrote:On Thursday, a small, quick storm hit New York City. Inside the city, the storm produced two tornadoes and a macroburst.

    The first tornado was an EF0, the weakest classification of tornado. Another tornado touched down later, a slightly stronger EF1. The second tornado killed a 30-year-old woman when it dropped a tree on the car she was in. Luckily, she was the only person killed in the storm.

    The most damage was caused by the macroburst, a large downward burst of wind from the storm. These winds reached up to 125mph.

    Hundreds, possibly thousands of trees were uprooted by the storm. 37,000 people lost power, at least six houses had roofs torn off, and transportation was widely disrupted.

    Source:

    http://www.lohud.com/article/20100918/NEWS05/100918002/-1/newsfront/Authorities--2-tornadoes-struck-NYC-during-storm-

    Here you can see a video two young, foul-mouthed residents took during the storm. You can see the massive wall of rain approaching, and at one point they appear to be filming the macroburst (despite their repeated insistence they're in a tornado).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCE_qiy-sOQ

    Also, this would be better served in the News thread, no?


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3

    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Teasealot on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 am

    Threads merged.


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.

    Cuboos

    Posts : 325
    Join date : 2010-07-08
    Age : 26
    Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cuboos on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:29 pm

    small tornadoes and micro bursts hitting big cities isn't really big news. i use to live in Phoenix AZ, they've had a few micro bursts which usually happens during the monsoon season.

    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Teasealot on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:10 pm

    Cuboos wrote:small tornadoes and micro bursts hitting big cities isn't really big news. i use to live in Phoenix AZ, they've had a few micro bursts which usually happens during the monsoon season.

    Despite not bein' big news, I'd still be upset to be in rush hour traffic, wonderin' if the small tornadoes are goin' to be strong enough to lift mah car, and hurl it down the street, or into the buildin' next to me. Or lift someone else's car and hurl it into mine. Also the thought of street signs bein' turned into spears, trees and mailboxes becomin' the windborne eqivalent of trebuchet ammo, shattered glass turnin' into storms of shuriken, and slabs of roofin' turnin' into crushin' blades.
    They were very lucky only one person died, considerin'.


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.

    UFAlien

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2010-07-23
    Age : 23
    Location : Western Massachusetts

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by UFAlien on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 am

    Cuboos wrote:small tornadoes and micro bursts hitting big cities isn't really big news. i use to live in Phoenix AZ, they've had a few micro bursts which usually happens during the monsoon season.

    Well, Cuboos, it was a macroburst, not a microburst. Also, Phoenix is right next to Tornado Alley, and New York City is about as far away from it as you can get in the continental U.S... so yes, it is news.

    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Teasealot on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:48 pm

    UFAlien wrote:
    Cuboos wrote:small tornadoes and micro bursts hitting big cities isn't really big news. i use to live in Phoenix AZ, they've had a few micro bursts which usually happens during the monsoon season.

    Well, Cuboos, it was a macroburst, not a microburst. Also, Phoenix is right next to Tornado Alley, and New York City is about as far away from it as you can get in the continental U.S... so yes, it is news.

    Also the architecture of New York has the unintentional ability to break up incomin' wet weather. New York has its own microclimate, creatin' its own weather.


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.

    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Teasealot on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:34 pm

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101109/twl-mystery-after-missile-fired-off-cali-3fd0ae9.html

    NILO!!! What did you do!!!!?


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.

    Cuboos

    Posts : 325
    Join date : 2010-07-08
    Age : 26
    Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cuboos on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:11 am

    i saw it, despite what people say... i still think it was a plane.

    Nilo Kaal

    Posts : 805
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Houston, TX

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Nilo Kaal on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 am

    I didn't touch nuthin. >.>

    SD

    Posts : 1134
    Join date : 2009-01-22
    Age : 28
    Location : A Place

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by SD on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 pm

    Nilo Kaal wrote:I didn't touch nuthin. >.>

    You're such a terrible liar.

    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Lord Grey II on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:19 pm

    Nilo Kaal wrote:I didn't touch nuthin. >.>

    That's a double negative. You're admitting to touching things now, are you? >:U


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3

    Nilo Kaal

    Posts : 805
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Houston, TX

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Nilo Kaal on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:39 pm

    I plead the fifth. ._.

    Cypher

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2009-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : Land of OZ

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cypher on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

    http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

    I'm not going to jump on the judgement wagon until more of this story comes to light, but if it really is because the non-American students complained...wtf? It's an American school and an American flag. Actually, it's more than that; why should anyone not be allowed to fly the flag of their native country, at school or not?

    SD

    Posts : 1134
    Join date : 2009-01-22
    Age : 28
    Location : A Place

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by SD on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 pm

    Cypher wrote:http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

    I'm not going to jump on the judgement wagon until more of this story comes to light, but if it really is because the non-American students complained...wtf? It's an American school and an American flag. Actually, it's more than that; why should anyone not be allowed to fly the flag of their native country, at school or not?

    Well it is in California and they've always been screwed in the head.

    Cuboos

    Posts : 325
    Join date : 2010-07-08
    Age : 26
    Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cuboos on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:40 pm

    SD wrote:
    Cypher wrote:http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

    I'm not going to jump on the judgement wagon until more of this story comes to light, but if it really is because the non-American students complained...wtf? It's an American school and an American flag. Actually, it's more than that; why should anyone not be allowed to fly the flag of their native country, at school or not?

    Well it is in California and they've always been screwed in the head.

    hey.... :'(

    anyway... yeah, Californians, especially southern Californians are just a little too tolerant to minorities -- granted minorities do deserve every right of an american citizen. Most of us are just a little to Liberal that any one with conservative ideals is often looked at as a possible problem bringing. Also we have ridicules gun laws, seriously ammo is expensive.

    Cypher

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2009-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : Land of OZ

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cypher on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:01 pm

    Cuboos wrote:
    hey.... :'(

    anyway... yeah, Californians, especially southern Californians are just a little too tolerant to minorities -- granted minorities do deserve every right of an american citizen. Most of us are just a little to Liberal that any one with conservative ideals is often looked at as a possible problem bringing. Also we have ridicules gun laws, seriously ammo is expensive.

    That and pretty much every chemical in the world is "known to the State of California to cause cancer". Maybe it's just the state.

    Cuboos

    Posts : 325
    Join date : 2010-07-08
    Age : 26
    Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cuboos on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm

    Cypher wrote:
    Cuboos wrote:
    hey.... :'(

    anyway... yeah, Californians, especially southern Californians are just a little too tolerant to minorities -- granted minorities do deserve every right of an american citizen. Most of us are just a little to Liberal that any one with conservative ideals is often looked at as a possible problem bringing. Also we have ridicules gun laws, seriously ammo is expensive.

    That and pretty much every chemical in the world is "known to the State of California to cause cancer". Maybe it's just the state.

    yeah... my state is full of pussies...

    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Lord Grey II on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:35 am

    Well that's weird. My state is full of dicks.


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3

    Cuboos

    Posts : 325
    Join date : 2010-07-08
    Age : 26
    Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cuboos on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:00 am

    Lord Grey II wrote:Well that's weird. My state is full of dicks.

    they are according to California at least!

    Cypher

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2009-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : Land of OZ

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Cypher on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm

    Cuboos wrote:
    Lord Grey II wrote:Well that's weird. My state is full of dicks.

    they are according to California at least!

    My family lives in D.C.

    We have all of the above and more.

    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Lord Grey II on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm

    Insane woman overreacts; news at 11

    It's things like this that make me wonder about the mental health of the average person.

    I mean, I already know and accept that people are stupid (some more than others, of course), but do I need to start thinking that people are insane as well?


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3

    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Teasealot on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

    At least in America, the teachers can still smack the kids who are causin' trouble. Here, in Britain, if a teacher did the same as the teacher in the story, she'd be in jail for child abuse and assault!!!
    Kids get away with too much shit nowadays, some of them really do need a good punchin' to get them to realise that they aren't God's Gift to anyone.


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.

    Sponsored content

    Re: News of Interest thread

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:38 pm


      Current date/time is Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:38 pm