Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+3
Lord Grey II
Lizardbeth
SD
7 posters

Let's talk about standardized rules.

SD
    SD

Let's talk about standardized rules. Empty Let's talk about standardized rules.

Post by SD Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 pm

So you many of you may noticed that from time to time there's confusion in what is and isn't acceptable in the forums. The board rules in effect right now don't really hit on certain points.
    Welcome to the BPD forums! I just wanted to get a couple quick things out of the way so everyone can have a good time here:

Please be respectful of other people and don't harass, insult, flame, or otherwise attack another person. If you disagree with something that someone else has said, respond to them intelligently and maturely. If you have a problem with another forum member (I.E. believe they are insulting or harassing you, etc) please contact me or one of the mods via PM.

I would like the forums to be safe for reading at work or by a younger (18 and under) audience. Therefor, please try to keep discussions over a pg 13 rating to a minimum. If you have to discuss them, please put a "NSFW" in the title of your thread as a warning for those who do not wish to view such topics. I don't want to censor you, but keep in mind that some people don't want to read about certain things... expecially when their boss might come peaking over their shoulder.

Do not create threads advertising items or services for sale. Links in signatures to outside websites with such information is fine, but do not clutter the forums with "Plz buy my thing" threads.

I don't want to be a forum nazi, and I know you guys don't want that either! So just be nice and respectful to everyone else around you, and I won't have to drop no ban hammer on nobody. Wink

-Liz

While at first this more or less worked as more people come in conflicting interpretations on certain points may derail threads and cause arguments. The only other forum that I frequent is Bungie.net and they're nutshell and follow up makes the most sense. So here's a copy paste and one or two other things that I feel like should be added to the "rules of the forum" thread.

Play nice, don't be a jerk.

- Use common sense. This is a video game developer's (in our case web comic) website. Keep your posts on-topic and "safe for work". The further you stray the more you'll tempt a ban.
    - Respect your fellow members, or at least tolerate them publicly. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated, even if they probably deserve it.
    - "Spam" is prohibited.
    - Do not post about any illegal substances or activities.
    - Do not post false information or mislead other forum-goers. Yes, even if it is funny.
    - Do not post spoilers or even pretend spoilers without clearly marking them.
    - Do not bypass the profanity filter. (in our case use profanities constantly) (Helpful Link)
    - New threads should encourage a discussion among the community; please be mindful of that when you create threads.

Add ons in my opinion should be as followed:

English (not perfect English mind you) should be the primary language of the forums, this is mainly because the father site of the forums is written in English and the majority of the users' first language is English. If a person doesn't speak English a friendly notice should be sent to them. This shouldn't be held against the user. Threads that require other languages (the ASCII thread, an RP thread that has a character speaking a different language) can overlooked look this for obvious reasons.

Mods should operate through PMs instead of publicly, the issue with this is that when issuing warnings publicly it makes the offender a target for people to chime in. It also makes an awkward situation where the offender may be caught in a trap to defend themselves (even if the person in question deserved the warning)

And a reiteration, keep your posts on topic in the thread at hand. It's annoying when a thread becomes derailed or an argument because of one off topic post. If you're unsure your post belongs in the thread ask a mod. Worst comes to worst, simply create a new thread.

Please keep this discussion civil (no flaming, mocking [underlying or outright]) and on topic.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Let's talk about standardized rules. Empty Re: Let's talk about standardized rules.

Post by Lizardbeth Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:49 pm

If English is not a user's primary language, I would like to recommend that they make some kind of note in their signature so everyone knows. If someone is Russian or Japanese or French or what have you, we should be understanding if their grammar or spelling isn't 100% up to par, or they have difficulty getting their points across clearly. I don't want people to feel like they can't join in simply because they can't speak English perfectly.

I would like to make this a sticky if you don't mind.
    SD
    SD

Let's talk about standardized rules. Empty Re: Let's talk about standardized rules.

Post by SD Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Archer is an example of a user who's first language wasn't English and at least made an attempt to speak English. Like I said, I don't expect them to type perfect English, just decently enough so they can be understood. And that them not having English as their first language shouldn't be held against them. Having a notice in their sig would be welcomed and helpful.

Also thank you for sticking this to the top, hopefully the crowd here can consolidate their thoughts and we can get a solid rule set in place that doesn't require way too much interpretation.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I've always admired the mods at NSG, and since becoming a mod, have followed the rules that they set down in that forum. Their One Stop Rules Shop. A good portion of that isn't relevant to this forum. This part is, intimately, and I'll repost it here.

Spoiler:

It is exhaustive and very clear-cut.

On the subject of warnings, I feel that they ought to be public. It demonstrates to others that the mods have seen the thing that has done wrong, have dealt with it, and serves as an example of what not to do. Furthermore, it serves as a record for past warnings that anyone that cares to can go find. Everyone ought to know where they stand with warnings, and this is much less feasible when constrained to pm's.
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

Post by Cuboos Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 pm

... then where the hell is the line drawn between friendly banter and harassment? it seems like ever since i tried to start that one forum game every one assumes anything remotely negative i say should subject to ridicule like some /b/tard migrating from 4chan. (encase most of you are wondering... i hate 4chan)
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Cuboos wrote:... then where the hell is the line drawn between friendly banter and harassment? it seems like ever since i tried to start that one forum game every one assumes anything remotely negative i say should subject to ridicule like some /b/tard migrating from 4chan. (encase most of you are wondering... i hate 4chan)

If you're not sure, ask them. Some people have a more "aggressive" sense of humor and don't mean to offend anybody. If you say "Hey dude, just making sure you're just messing around and not being serious towards me" or something along those lines (direct but not angry or accusatory) it could stop arguments before they stop. It's easy enough to misread people's intentions when all you're seeing is emotionless text.

I think it's also fair to say that, just because someone "screws up" once, doesn't mean they should be put under harsher scrutiny than anyone else. If they break a normal rule again, fine. But their behavior shouldn't be overanalyzed just because they made a mistake in the past.
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Post by Cuboos Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 pm

then would it be too much to ask that most people should assume anything negative -- if you could even call it that -- has no intention of brining up controversy. the definition of trolling has little definition and is heavily up for debate, don't trust all of your sources as the goto advice for that kind of topic. if anything i have submitted at all seems offensive anyone, i best advise to take it as humorous -- because this IS my intention. i understand many people have different views when it comes to humor, if you are unable to find what i submit as unoffensive then it is best practice to ignore it. Even though i consider myself to be a light hearted troll, i am here for the same reason every one else is, because i'm a fan of BPD.

((also.. as ridicules as this image is... it's true))

Let's talk about standardized rules. 1287531574.m.bison_trolls_explained
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 pm

then would it be too much to ask that most people should assume anything negative -- if you could even call it that -- has no intention of brining up controversy. the definition of trolling has little definition and is heavily up for debate, don't trust all of your sources as the goto advice for that kind of topic. if anything i have submitted at all seems offensive anyone, i best advise to take it as humorous -- because this IS my intention. i understand many people have different views when it comes to humor, if you are unable to find what i submit as unoffensive then it is best practice to ignore it. Even though i consider myself to be a light hearted troll, i am here for the same reason every one else is, because i'm a fan of BPD.

Cuboos, I'm going to be honest with you for a minute. When you started out it didn't bother me and I did see some underlying humor, but you kept taking it to a stupid area that made it hard to ignore and not hate. Perhaps maybe, just maybe dial it back a bit. You have to realize that we don't all frequent the same places as you do so we're not aware of your posting style. You need to stop and think for a minute that while one place you go to may be use to you and the way you post another probably wouldn't be as acquainted.

Just because one place accepts it doesn't mean another will.
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Post by Cuboos Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 pm

i'd like to know what exactly was so bad about the stuff i've done?
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 am

I hearby tender my resignation as a moderator,
    for reasons both personal (real life) and the following I no longer can give this forum the attention and
    personal detachment I as a moderator should be able to.
    The admin doesnt seem to care as much for fans on this site as much as those on Twitter.
    So
    To those who are my friends that I met on this site, you know how to contact me if you want to.

Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Blackwolf has set the precedent for this thread, and there is little call for a new thread.

I also resign from the moderator position. I no longer have any interest in trying to maintain this forum nor to post regularly.

This forum is poorly managed, and ultimate sabotaged by the presence of Liz's Twitter, which is shown a great deal more attention and love towards the fans/followers. I do not appreciate members of the forum treating this as their own personal stomping ground, and then act confused when one of the mods tell them to knock it off. Similarly, I have not enjoyed dealing with people whining to Liz when they disagree with the mods (particularly myself, for obvious reasons), making us explain out the situation unnecessarily. There is no reason to have a position of authority if no member respects that authority. If Liz wishes to continue managing the forum, she must appoint someone else (whose head will be likewise gone over and ignored) or do it herself. Past experience has shown that Liz, as great of an artist as she may be, has little interest in the forum.

Those members of the forum that have made this an unhappy, barren place, congratulations. This is not addressed to one person; if you think it's addressed to you, it probably is.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:33 pm

I have no speech and I've been talked out of the rant at those truly responsible for this Forum's failure and slow death. So all I have to say is I also resign from the position of Moderator, all the reasons for me leavin' too have been covered by the other former moderators.

And to those whom this applies: If you didn't want to be taken for a 4channer, you shouldn't have acted like one.
    Kumquaticus
    Kumquaticus

Post by Kumquaticus Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Well then

I think I may have missed something, but it's true that there doesn't seem to be much of a point to keeping this up. Maybe I'l see y'all later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am