Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

Chatting on IRC: Instructions

Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Chatting on IRC: Instructions Empty Chatting on IRC: Instructions

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Welcome! This thread was created to give everyone handy instructions on how to join Broken Plot Device's chatroom*, #brokenplotdevice!

First, you'll need an IRC client. Several exist out there on the web, and I encourage all of you to find the one that fits you best. For the time being, I recommend you use IceChat, since it is free, and you do not have to register. You can download it here.

Please take a moment to download it.

After it downloads, run it and follow the install procedure. This should be fairly straightforward, similar to everything other application you've downloaded, ever. If this is your first time then... er. Well, just keep clicking next, and don't bother to read the Terms of Service. ;3

Once you have it installed, go ahead and run that puppy.

On your first run of IceChat, it may give you an error about an invalid picture. This is normal. Ignore it and just click ok.

Once it opens, in the bottom left corner of the window there should be an 'add new' button, click it.

In the window that opens, enter the server name irc.furnet.org in the appropriate box.

Click next. The port field should automatically have 6667 in it. If it does not appear, manually enter 6667.

In the channels field, put #brokenplotdevice and click next.

In the nickname field, put your desired name is, click next over and over until it asks you to hit Save

Do so.

Now, on the bottom left, there should be a connect button. Click it!

After a few seconds, you should be connected to #brokenplotdevice.

Welcome! We're a friendly bunch, I promise, chat away!

*Yes, I know we already have a chatbox for the forum itself. It breaks a lot, which is why we created the channel.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 am