Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like


    Happy Holidays 2009

    Share

    Poll

    How do you greet on Holidays?

    [ 3 ]
    43% [43%] 
    [ 4 ]
    57% [57%] 

    Total Votes: 7

    Koleyl

    Posts : 31
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 35
    Location : Browning Montana

    Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Koleyl on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:17 pm

    Hey guys well it's that time of year again where we give goodwill and cheers and wishing everyone a very happy holidays. I hope you all will have a good one as we celebrate the first dedade of the new milleinum. Well as my gift for the Brokenplot fans here is a link to one of my stories on my DA sight Holiday Quick Bits http://koleyl.deviantart.com/art/Holiday-Quick-Bits-146790604 What is Quick Bits? Well it's a collection of funny script-style stories that I do for my friends on the DA. I thought it be something nice I do for you guys on this board.
    avatar
    Invalid

    Posts : 392
    Join date : 2009-10-21
    Age : 24

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Invalid on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:19 am

    Merry Christmas, to all atheists,satanists,etc. I love the christ in the mas, Christmas mainly because it was named that way and x-mas just don't feel right it's OFF!!! No You can call it Holidays but that sounds a little weak. I think people just hate the fact that christ is in the christmas. Get over it unless you're a satanist or into voodoo. It won't KILL YOU TO SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Shocked
    avatar
    water_fairy_tattoo

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2009-10-10
    Age : 27
    Location : alabama

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by water_fairy_tattoo on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 am

    I will say Happy Holidays cause I know and understand that not everone does celebrate christmas. I find it safer to say the holidays then anything elsa. I have learned that you need to be understanding of everones religon and try to not say anything aginst them or what thay belive. Just be understanding you dont have to be acceting. Cause not one religon is going to make trillion of people happy thats why we have mutilple ones and who can't say that we are all right? Then agin we could all be wrong we don't know yet do we.
    avatar
    Night Dragon

    Posts : 730
    Join date : 2009-07-27
    Age : 28
    Location : At the botton of a well standing next to an old guy named Timmy.

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Night Dragon on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:33 am

    water_fairy_tattoo wrote:I will say Happy Holidays cause I know and understand that not everone does celebrate christmas. I find it safer to say the holidays then anything elsa. I have learned that you need to be understanding of everones religon and try to not say anything aginst them or what thay belive. Just be understanding you dont have to be acceting. Cause not one religon is going to make trillion of people happy thats why we have mutilple ones and who can't say that we are all right? Then agin we could all be wrong we don't know yet do we.

    Hear hear!
    avatar
    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Lord Grey II on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 pm

    Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all ...

    ... And a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2010, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Britain great, (not to imply that Britain is necessarily greater than any other country), and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference or orientation of the wishee.

    By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.)


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3
    avatar
    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Teasealot on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:51 pm

    Mecingo wrote:Merry Christmas, to all atheists,satanists,etc. I love the christ in the mas, Christmas mainly because it was named that way and x-mas just don't feel right it's OFF!!! No You can call it Holidays but that sounds a little weak. I think people just hate the fact that christ is in the christmas. Get over it unless you're a satanist or into voodoo. It won't KILL YOU TO SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Shocked

    Happy annual non-secular celebration of commercialised greed everybody!!!!

    And a trio of points.
    1: Satanists are actually Christians too, they just follow the teachings of the other guy. And Voodoo is a deritivative of Christianity mixed with old African tribal beliefs.
    2: Christmas was originally a Pagan Holiday, and the Christians accepted it as a celebration. It just happened to be the same day as Christ's birth.
    3: If you take the fact that January and February where originally the last months of the year, and where subsequently shifted to the front of the year by a Roman Emperor AFTER Christ's death, that would actually put his birthday on the 25th of October in the modern Gregorian Calender. So technically, you're celebrating his birthday two months late...

    Did I just void Grey's greeting?


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.
    avatar
    Invalid

    Posts : 392
    Join date : 2009-10-21
    Age : 24

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Invalid on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:34 pm

    Teasealot wrote:
    Mecingo wrote:Merry Christmas, to all atheists,satanists,etc. I love the christ in the mas, Christmas mainly because it was named that way and x-mas just don't feel right it's OFF!!! No You can call it Holidays but that sounds a little weak. I think people just hate the fact that christ is in the christmas. Get over it unless you're a satanist or into voodoo. It won't KILL YOU TO SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Shocked

    Happy annual non-secular celebration of commercialised greed everybody!!!!

    And a trio of points.
    1: Satanists are actually Christians too, they just follow the teachings of the other guy. And Voodoo is a deritivative of Christianity mixed with old African tribal beliefs.
    2: Christmas was originally a Pagan Holiday, and the Christians accepted it as a celebration. It just happened to be the same day as Christ's birth.
    3: If you take the fact that January and February where originally the last months of the year, and where subsequently shifted to the front of the year by a Roman Emperor AFTER Christ's death, that would actually put his birthday on the 25th of October in the modern Gregorian Calender. So technically, you're celebrating his birthday two months late...

    Did I just void Grey's greeting?

    I just don't like X-mas, And I don't know when christ was really born so I use that day as a reference, Satanists are in christian religion just the negative side of it and do not say merry christmas at all. It sounds weak another way you say it Happy Holidays,X-mas,Ishmas,etc. All sound weak. But I will admit saying merry christmas has caused me to have fights in more ways than one Neutral .
    But it's worth it, at the end of the day I can say I don't care if I offend someone by saying merry christmas because I truely know that it ain't going to kill someone. On another note I don't know any one in voodoo that respect christianity, A lot of them have been locked up for killing christians.

    I do respect your view on this, You most likely know more things than I do because you have been on this earth longer than I have. I just base this on what I see and hear in my own city. Alot of different religions where I live.

    Merry Christmas, Smile I should have said it a little nicer in the first reply.
    avatar
    Coydog

    Posts : 100
    Join date : 2009-08-20
    Age : 38
    Location : Oklahoma

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Coydog on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm

    Teasealot wrote:
    1: Satanists are actually Christians too, they just follow the teachings of the other guy. And Voodoo is a deritivative of Christianity mixed with old African tribal beliefs.

    Satanists are no more Christians than Muslims are. Less, actually, if you're referring to the Church of Satan.

    Really, this is such a tired debate, and it ultimately doesn't go anywhere due to a complete lack of anyone having anything of real importance to be concerned with (my opinion, of course). Not a big deal, but bothersome because people get so emotional on the topic.

    "Children are dying somewhere, the elderly and sick don't get the medical treatment they need, corrupt politicians are abusing their power, the banks are defrauding the world, but none of that matters because you used something other than my personally preferred phrasing to tell me something nice, and I just can't let that slide."

    Isn't it enough that people greet you in a pleasant way?

    Does it really matter what specific phrase they adopted?

    Do you genuinely feel oppressed when someone says a pleasant thing to you in a specific style or wording that doesn't immediately endorse your particular worldview?

    Seriously, I'm just happy someone acknowledged my existence in a non-insulting/degrading/threatening way. For my part, I say, "Merry Christmas!", mostly out of habit, not an agenda.

    However, I'll be damned if someone is going to bully me to change it. In fact, I don't even care enough to hear an argument on the topic. I do what I do, and no, my phrasing hurts no one in this particular matter.

    Koleyl

    Posts : 31
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 35
    Location : Browning Montana

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Koleyl on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:44 pm

    Hey, hey first off thank you Night Dragon and Water Fairy. Second listen you guys I didn't set this board up just so people can have arguements. I was only trying to wish people a Happy Holidays. Man no wonder I don't post topics on this forum very often some people have to go and make arguements and I wound up being the bad guy.
    avatar
    SD

    Posts : 1134
    Join date : 2009-01-22
    Age : 28
    Location : A Place

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by SD on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:29 pm

    Koleyl wrote:Hey, hey first off thank you Night Dragon and Water Fairy. Second listen you guys I didn't set this board up just so people can have arguements. I was only trying to wish people a Happy Holidays. Man no wonder I don't post topics on this forum very often some people have to go and make arguements and I wound up being the bad guy.

    One could say that the point to the poll is useless since the actual topic isn't about "Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays"
    avatar
    Lord Grey II

    Posts : 1402
    Join date : 2008-12-07
    Age : 27
    Location : Texas

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Lord Grey II on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:36 pm

    Koleyl wrote:Hey, hey first off thank you Night Dragon and Water Fairy. Second listen you guys I didn't set this board up just so people can have arguements. I was only trying to wish people a Happy Holidays. Man no wonder I don't post topics on this forum very often some people have to go and make arguements and I wound up being the bad guy.

    Hey, it's just some mild debate, not an argument.

    Besides, it'd be a boring thread if it was just everyone wishing each other a happy holiday. So lighten up a little, we're just having some fun. Post some more threads, there's plenty of topics that don't even generate debate that we can have fun with. Such as RPs and games. :3


    _________________
    Error 404 - Signature not found Shenanigans! :3
    avatar
    Invalid

    Posts : 392
    Join date : 2009-10-21
    Age : 24

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Invalid on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 am

    Lord Grey II wrote:
    Koleyl wrote:Hey, hey first off thank you Night Dragon and Water Fairy. Second listen you guys I didn't set this board up just so people can have arguements. I was only trying to wish people a Happy Holidays. Man no wonder I don't post topics on this forum very often some people have to go and make arguements and I wound up being the bad guy.

    Hey, it's just some mild debate, not an argument.

    Besides, it'd be a boring thread if it was just everyone wishing each other a happy holiday. So lighten up a little, we're just having some fun. Post some more threads, there's plenty of topics that don't even generate debate that we can have fun with. Such as RPs and games. :3

    True Life on forums would be boring with out debates, even if you lose them, and I like been corrected when necessary.
    avatar
    Teasealot

    Posts : 1221
    Join date : 2008-12-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Scotland

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Teasealot on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 am

    Wasn't arguing, was just bringing up some facts about Christmas and the people who celebrate it.


    _________________
    Foxgirl Artist (and Moderator).
    CEO of HenchCo, supplyin' sensible minions to sensible villains since time immemorial.
    Founder of Apocalypse Unlimited, supplyin' weapons and gadgets to the power mad since 1990.
    avatar
    water_fairy_tattoo

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2009-10-10
    Age : 27
    Location : alabama

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by water_fairy_tattoo on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:40 am

    I was just saying how I said the "happy hoildays" over "marry christmas". We all made good points as to why we say what we say. We got a little bit off our chest and I think we all earned something from each other. I think we all need to vent about this a little bit. I am sorry that we took your forum.
    avatar
    Sketchy-boy

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2009-12-13

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Sketchy-boy on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:10 am

    Uh... Merry Christmas people who try to prove points. You win the internetz.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Happy Holidays 2009

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm