Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+10
Teasealot
DannyBoy
Cassie
Winds
tundraarcticwolf
Pantzar
Lizardbeth
Shii
Hraesvelgn
Eigen
14 posters

Second Life!

Eigen
    Eigen

Second Life! Empty Second Life!

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 am

To quote the Gods of Lindenia!
    Linden Lab wrote:Second Life® is a 3-D virtual world created by its Residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by millions of Residents from around the globe.

* From the moment you enter the World you'll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you've explored a bit, perhaps you'll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.

* You'll also be surrounded by the Creations of your fellow Residents. Because Residents retain intellectual property rights in their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other Residents.

* The Marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the inworld unit of trade, the Linden™ dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online Linden dollar exchanges.

Purrrrr I'm just curious how many BPD readers & fans play Second Life! I know the community, specially the furry community branches through these comics in 1L all the time.

Iffin anyone wants, I love to help newbies to the awesome platform and do a lot of building for homes, businesses and clubs! You can find me as Eigen Summers in game!

And iffin you really need a reason to play; you can do ANYTHING and build anything. Is awesome to hang out and chillax. *purrs and waves his paw from the water*

Second Life! Windlight
    Hraesvelgn
    Hraesvelgn

Second Life! Empty Re: Second Life!

Post by Hraesvelgn Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:46 am

I did try it once, but got completely overwhelmed by pretty much everything. I forgot everything I learned in the tutorial, and then somehow managed to make myself look like a drag queen with some free stuff and couldn't work out how to change it back. So I kind of crawled back out.

I'd be quite willing to get back on it if someone could at least show me the basics, or at the very least how to get my avatar like I want it. I'm currently sitting... somewhere with that awful default hippy avatar. Anyone willing to take on a newbie?

Oh, and my SL name is Hraesvelgn Rozenhauch (woo for unpronouncable names!)
    Shii
    Shii

Post by Shii Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:14 am

Like Hrael, I tried it but was overwhelmed, mostly.

Plus, I hated having to walk around and spend time looking like a total newbie, so I just gave up.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 am

I am curious about this too, as I myself play Second Life!

Second Life! LizSL1

My in-game name is Lizardbeth Lulu. If you toss me a friend invite, lemme know you're a BPD reader (so I know you're not a random spammer or something like that) ^_^

If I made a BPD group in SL, would anyone consider joining it? And what should I call it? I need a cool title name!
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:47 pm

Nice AV!!!! I have probably about 40-50 furry avs..i just love them too much. For new players you can get a really good furry av for between 800-1000L$ that you'll wear to death at first. It's totally worth it Smile 1000L$ is about what, 4 bucks now?

Plus once you play enough you can earn lindens and not worry about having to pay much for the game. I make enough now that it pays for my land, my subscription, about 5000L$ a month for clothes...and i bank about 30-40 bucks a month to pay for my other games too Very Happy (And yeah, i'm a male in game...clothes shopping is just fun...DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! Embarassed )

Added you, Liz! Definately any noobs that need help feel free to ad me too, i got lots of little things that i either make or pick up free that you can have that look just great. If you're a male too i prolly have some good hand me downs to shake the noobness Smile
    Pantzar
    Pantzar

Post by Pantzar Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Tried it for a while, but didn't really find anyone to play with so i quitted Smile Nowdays WoW is taking most of my time infront of the computer. Smile
    tundraarcticwolf

Post by tundraarcticwolf Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Haven't tried Second Life yet, but I may try it out next Wednesday and see what it's like.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Second Life definitely has a very steap learning curve at first. It's very overwhelming once you first join; you don't have a nice av, don't really know where to go or how to buy/build a nicer one, and sometimes it's hard to find people to chat with or to help you.

When I first joined SL, I was like a lot of people in this thread; I created an account, got into it for about a week, and then got so confused with everything that I quit. I gradually got back into it, mostly because the draw of being able to recreate stuff in 3D was just too appealing to not explore.

It does take time to get used to the tools, expecially if (like me) you're not used to thinking & building in 3D, but with some practice you get the hang of it.

Finding people to hang out with in SL helps a lot too. At it's core, it's just a 3D chatroom with legos and barbies added in. If you don't have anyone to share your legos with, it can get boring fast. Smile

For the SLers out there, where would you recommend new folks - or SLers who quit early but are looking to give it a 2nd chance - go for a good start? Personally, the Furnation Sims are great for any furs, since it has a huge mall for any av you could possibly want, and the Ark is a good hangout for meeting people (if you don't mind random pole dancers). Luskwood is good for that as well, plus for those of you who DO mind the pole dancers, it's a PG sim.

I'll have to go through my landmarks sometime and make a list of nifty places to share with you guys. I'd do it now, but I'm at work. Razz
    Shii
    Shii

Post by Shii Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, I'll certainly be browsing by this thread a lot. I'd love to get into the game, but like you said, Liz, the learning curve is vicious.

I might be trying it out again, then. Smile
    Hraesvelgn
    Hraesvelgn

Post by Hraesvelgn Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:55 pm

I'd definitely join a BPD group if one was opened up, I think another one of the reasons I quit is that I knew absolutely no one who used it when I joined. You've got me stuck on a name though...

*goes to reinstall the client*

By the way, I hope no one minds but I'll probably be tossing friend adds at anyone who says it's fine to add them.

Edit: Well, I got back on it and found an avatar I'm after. Now all I've got to is wait for Anshe to deliver my L$ so I can actually get started properly...
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm on from time to time under the name "Winds Habilis".
    Haven't really spent any money or real effort on it, though.
    Eventually, probably after I move, I'll spend a few dollars and spruce up my av and lean how to build a meld.
    Feel from to shoot me a friends request if you want, I'm all for meeting new people.
    Cassie
    Cassie

Second Life! Empty Me!

Post by Cassie Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Play it, and I have for a while, Cass Ceriano, if you want.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Ok, I'm about to make a group in SL. It'll just be called "*Broken Plot Device*", but I want some cool names for titles for above people's heads. I'm taking suggestions for these, they won't really mean anything as far as rank, they'll just be something fun to display.

If you're in SL, you can either IM me to join or do a group search for Broken Plot Device. It'll be 100% free to join, so no worries there. And hit me up with ideas for titles!

EDIT: Ok, it's telling me that if no one joins the SL group within 48 hours, than the group is disbanned and the name becomes unavailable. So if you're an SL user, jump in sometime today or tomorrow and join the group so I don't lose it!!
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Lizardbeth wrote:Ok, I'm about to make a group in SL. It'll just be called "*Broken Plot Device*", but I want some cool names for titles for above people's heads. I'm taking suggestions for these, they won't really mean anything as far as rank, they'll just be something fun to display.

If you're in SL, you can either IM me to join or do a group search for Broken Plot Device. It'll be 100% free to join, so no worries there. And hit me up with ideas for titles!

EDIT: Ok, it's telling me that if no one joins the SL group within 48 hours, than the group is disbanned and the name becomes unavailable. So if you're an SL user, jump in sometime today or tomorrow and join the group so I don't lose it!!

I just hopped on and its saying there's no such group.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm

hum. Try again; if it doesn't work, PM Lizardbeth Lulu and I'll invite manually, and figure out how to do the search thingie later.

EDIT: ...ok, it's listed in my profile. That should be the easiest thing Smile
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:12 pm

I joined! Im'd an idea for group titles but I had such little to think about...for some reason thinking about your avatar blowing a raspberry made me think of something silly.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 am

Well I'll try it out. See what there is to see and what not. Anyway I hope I don't get lost.
    tundraarcticwolf

Post by tundraarcticwolf Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I'll probably start playing Second Life starting on Saturday, and I'll have to check out the BPD group, Liz.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Question and an important one: Do you have to pay for Second Life?
    Teh Chay
    Teh Chay

Post by Teh Chay Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 pm

You dont -have- to. You'll end up wanting to buy stuffs though
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm

I have no credit card, and don't trust direct links to any of my ban accounts, so I guess I'm pretty well screwed. Sad
    That's why I asked.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Second Life is 100% free if you want it to be. They have a paid member account that gives you a small $L allowance once a week (I think it's $L300) and you can choose to buy more $L dollars with real money, but all of that is totally optional. It can be hard to get $L dollars with a free account unless you're making/selling things, but it's not impossible by any means. One of the more well-known avatar builders in SL hasn't paid a dime for his account, but he's pulling in bank (he actually pays for his sim with $L alone!) I don't want to say who it is for the sake of his privacy though, but anywhere you go with furry avs you'll see at least one person wearing an av he's made.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks Liz *hugs*
    Sideromelane
    Sideromelane

Post by Sideromelane Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 pm

I play, on and off. Am even in the group! Hooray! But there never seems to be anyone around v.=.v
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 am

Lizardbeth wrote:I am curious about this too, as I myself play Second Life!

Second Life! LizSL1

My in-game name is Lizardbeth Lulu. If you toss me a friend invite, lemme know you're a BPD reader (so I know you're not a random spammer or something like that) ^_^

If I made a BPD group in SL, would anyone consider joining it? And what should I call it? I need a cool title name!

Yep I'd join, keep meaning to look into SL anyway but never seem to find time between galatic domination and making ISK ;p
    one day soon I will check it out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 pm