Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+3
Nilo Kaal
Kvothe
SD
7 posters

Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011

SD
    SD

Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011 Empty Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011

Post by SD Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 am

Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011 2011-02-02

Dense as dura-steel.
    Kvothe
    Kvothe

Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011 Empty Re: Awesome-Sass 2/2/2011

Post by Kvothe Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

Why does everyone always forget about Phil? He played as crucial a role in the... purging... as Sid or Inix did. I wonder where all the evil went. Perhaps back behind the door?

Considering the alternative, you'd think Sylver would be just a teensy bit more grateful.

My inner grammar nazi is poking me right now. Sort of a tingly feeling.
    Nilo Kaal
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 am

Kvothe wrote:My inner grammar nazi is poking me right now. Sort of a tingly feeling.
    I know exactly what you mean...*cough*3rd panel*cough*
    Drako
    Drako

Post by Drako Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am

For a wolf, Sylver can be a huge drama llama sometimes.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Nope, I'm taking Sylver's side on this one. It's not that hard to understand why he's feeling inferior. He's always felt inferior to Sid; it hurts to have a negative thought confirmed through someone else's actions, even if the confirmatory action is a positive one.

Sylver likes attention, being the center of attention. Clearly, that's why he's angry with Sid. Sylver would feel betrayed by Sid, because, in Sylver's mind, friends wouldn't prevent him from being the center of attention, which Sid has done by saving him.

In the last panel, Sid isn't being very considerate of how Sylver is feeling at all. Sure, Sylver might not have the right reasons for feeling how he does, but they are still valid reasons. I think that Sid was positively belittling, completely dismissing how Sylver feels. Sid loses points, in my book.
    SomeOtherGuy

Post by SomeOtherGuy Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Lord Grey II - I totally understand your sentiments, and I also feel bad for Sylver, but I can't agree with you about Sid. I don't think Sid was being inconsiderate or belittling at all, he was just "telling it like it is" in a tough-love kind of way. If you helped someone you didn't get along with well, and they talked back to you the way Sylver did, how would you react?

Sylver's got some serious personal issues to work out, and there's truly only one individual who can do that for him...he looks like Sylver, talks like Sylver, acts like Sylver, and, well, you know Wink I'd love to see him take a turn for the better, and maybe that's where Sunny and even the rest of the cast can help him, but that doesn't make it okay for him to act like a jerk in the meantime.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

SomeOtherGuy wrote:Lord Grey II - I totally understand your sentiments, and I also feel bad for Sylver, but I can't agree with you about Sid. I don't think Sid was being inconsiderate or belittling at all, he was just "telling it like it is" in a tough-love kind of way. If you helped someone you didn't get along with well, and they talked back to you the way Sylver did, how would you react?

The bolded part is precisely why I think it's inconsiderate and belittling. Obviously, Sylver's got some issues. That's exactly why Sid shouldn't have acted like he did. If someone doesn't understand something, in this case social relationships, you don't repeat what you've done, you put it on a level they understand. Sid ought to have addressed Sylver's points, not dismissed them. That says to Sylver that Sid doesn't care about what he thinks. That's not what friends do, and that's especially important to Sylver, who is self-centered.

As for how I'd react? Better than Sid, I would say. I wouldn't dismiss Sylver outright. I'd think he's wrong (which he is here, I'm not saying that), but I'd take care to make Sylver understand that, not just walk away. That solves nothing. If 100% of personal change came from oneself, therapists wouldn't be needed, eh? While change can only happen on the personal level, other people need to help make that happen.
    SomeOtherGuy

Post by SomeOtherGuy Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Again, to LGII - I'm not trying to drag this out endlessly, so I doubt I'll reply any more to this topic after this. At any rate, there's something else we ought not to forget - that Sid's got his own point of view in this whole deal.

Here's my guess as to what Sid would've been thinking when Sylver started sassing him (and I understand I could be getting this *completely* wrong, but here it goes anyway!): "Gee, I just risked my life to save not only you, but everyone else affected by those rampaging demonic toys, and I even had to co-operate with someone who was until just recently my worst nemesis, and you still gotta give me grief like some spoiled, snotty little brat? That's just sad, man. I hope you grow out of that phase soon, for your sake and Sunny's, but until then I'm not gonna be your whipping boy. Oh, and guess who got you that cake you loved so much?"

Also, if Sylver hates it when the attention's drawn away from him, then why didn't he totally go off on J-Bone for messing with his chance to patch things up with C-Jay last summer?

I sure do think that Sylver will need help from those closest to him to become a better individual, but he *HAS* to be willing to accept that help, even if it comes in the form of "tough love". He's also got to be willing to take a good, long look at himself, and know if he's happy with what he sees. Don't think I'm trying to totally pick your position apart, LGII, I just hope I'm making it very clear where *I'm* coming from.

Finally, I also agree that Phil deserves his due for the help he gave. He may be clutzy, but he sure pulled through! Does this mean it's back to the good old "pirates vs. ninjas" slapstick we've all come to know and love? Wink
    Kumquaticus
    Kumquaticus

Post by Kumquaticus Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am

SomeOtherGuy wrote:someone who was until just recently my worst nemesis

I wouldn't say that. Really, I don't think Sid never considered Phil much of a threat at all, and Phil was just doing his job. There was never some deep underlying hate.

Also, you two both have very nice points on the matter, but I say we just leave it be. Besides, nobody's perfect, if either of these guys are being jerks, then that's their fault.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:11 pm