Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+4
Keyou-bi
Teasealot
LastArcher
Coydog
8 posters

Your favorite tabletop RPG

Coydog
    Coydog

Your favorite tabletop RPG Empty Your favorite tabletop RPG

Post by Coydog Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:04 pm

I just found myself pining for the good old days of snack foods, good friends, and late nights spent making absurd stories together.

Mine was Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Does anyone else have a fav? Feel free to share stories!
    LastArcher

Your favorite tabletop RPG Empty Re: Your favorite tabletop RPG

Post by LastArcher Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Das schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye in english). Great game. Was fun to play with friends and family. We have just finished a few games. And I had the worst luck with the cubes sometimes. But it was great to know we can start every time a new one.
    Great game.

Last edited by LastArcher on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Too many to count... But Werewolf was my baby.
    Coydog
    Coydog

Post by Coydog Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Never heard of The Dark Eye, what was the premise?

While nothing comes close to WW:TA for me, I also enjoyed Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, and both DC and Marvel Superheroes. Vampire: the Masquerade got played a time or 2, but it was a lil too angsty for my tastes.

I never cared for D&D, personally.
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:04 pm

In no particualr order

MechWarrior
    Werewolf: The Apocalypse
    Dungeons and Dragons (Because some times all i want to do is hack things)
    Rifts
    Marvel
    Shadowrun

I would like to try Legend of the Five Rings at some point.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Warhammer doesn't count, does it? Wink

If not, well... the only tabletop RPG I ever really played was a Cyberpunk game (not sure of the name) with some friends. I played a demolitions expert. I blew stuff up. ^_^ It was glorious!
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Lizardbeth wrote:Warhammer doesn't count, does it? Wink

If not, well... the only tabletop RPG I ever really played was a Cyberpunk game (not sure of the name) with some friends. I played a demolitions expert. I blew stuff up. ^_^ It was glorious!

That's either Cyberpunk or Shadowrun (Was there elve, orks, trolls and dwarves?)
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:42 pm

F.A.T.A.L., if for no other reason than spawning this review:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080208091645/http://atrocities.primaryerror.net/fatal.html
    Drako
    Drako

Post by Drako Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Hm. Too hard to decide on a favorite. Played D&D, Shadowrun, Paranoia, BESM, and d20 Future. I really enjoyed the few Shadowrun sessions I played. I've played D&D online and (a generalized version, at least) IRL. Played Shadowrun and Paranoia IRL. Played BESM and d20 Future online only. I like the d20 future game that's still going on (although coordinating times when everyone's on has become difficult of late), but I think I liked the Shadowrun one the best. Paranoia is good for a short one-session game, if done right.
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 pm

I love being a Storyteller weekly for a great group of kindred in Vampire: the Requiem every tuesday, we have a nice dungeon in our basement, and play a dystopic world centered around our hometown; Winnipeg, Manitoba, after a climactic shift. It's a pretty fun house game that has good workings because of great friends (aging 20-51 and even guys to girls so it's a great blend)

Other than that, I play DnD 4e, and our group there is going to sub in Traveller once or twice to give that a go. Smile
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:37 am

I CHALLENGE THE TO A DUAL! *deploys his imperial guard armored company FOR THE EMPEROR!*
    Coydog
    Coydog

Post by Coydog Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:22 am

I suppose Warhammer, 40k, and Battletech all fall under strategy as opposed to RPG.

I really liked Shadowrun, but only played it a few times (never did find a good group to run it with), and I've never played Cyberpunk.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 am

Werewolf: The Apocalypse is my favourite game, quickly followed by Ironclaw, Spycraft, Shadowrun, Pathfinder, and Star Wars D6/D20 (no real order), and thinking of trying out a new one called Eclipse Phase (from what little I've read of it, think Star Wars meets Call of C'thulu... and you're the investigators!!)
    As for Werewolf, I have hundreds of little stories about it, and I'm presently running a game of it on sundays.

One story (to start it off)

The first story involves the maturation of a player and his Get of Fenris Homid Ahroun. The player was new to the system and was high on the Movie Werewolf image, so he acted just like that even after the GM had explained the concept for five HOURS!
    Understandably the pack was a little short-tempered with the cub... musta beaten on the character 12 times in the first session alone. This behaviour doesn't change for three months, which is when he gets his first run-in with a pack of Black Spiral Dancers (corrupted werewolves, if you don't know) who were doing EXACTLY what he was wanting to do, but not in the romanticised (IE MOVIE) way he envisioned. Still remember his face, in and out of character, it was, "Buh... I was actin' like a BAD GUY?!!... I was actin' like a BAD GUY!!! HOLY S**T, I WAS ACTIN' LIKE A FRICKIN' BAD GUY!!!!... No wonder I got beaten on so much. Sorry for doubtin' you guys, I thought you were just doing some Garou Hazin' or somethin'!!" After that, he matured into one of the best players (and characters) our group had.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:44 am