Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+17
lost
Aecas
Arka
Winds
padfootsm
Cassie
Restorf
Distiller
Kadaga
anubicdarque
Shii
Amai Crimson
Hraesvelgn
tundraarcticwolf
Affy
Eigen
Lizardbeth
21 posters

The story so far....

Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

The story so far.... Empty The story so far....

Post by Lizardbeth Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:11 pm

I am curious as to what you guys think of BPD so far. Do you like it? Is anything confusing? Is there something you'd like me to go into in a future comic? Is there a character you think hasn't been explained very well?

Be honest. I have an idea where I want to take everything, but I want to make sure I'm getting across what I want to. Your feedback is immensely helpful. Smile

-Liz
    Eigen
    Eigen

The story so far.... Empty Re: The story so far....

Post by Eigen Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Yay for registering!

I love the characters and how you can draw their emotions and personality in the comic format. Smile Personally though, I've wondered more about some of the characters lives outside the apartment, as well as Inix's cave homes underneath the building!

Is there any plans to sort of delve into the resident Mystic more? Sometimes I wonder if she actually is as old as she is, or might have fallen out of the looney bin at some point in life. *grins sheepishly*

Though I love the work...definately want to see more story arcs and lotsa plot that develops the characters and world around them ^-^ I love those socially serious yet aloof plotlines that want you hanging on from one panel to the next.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:32 pm

yay first forumite! Very Happy Welcome welcome!

I will definately be going into Inix's backstory at some point. It's a bit involved as I have it planned now so rather than tell it all at once, I'll probably drop hints and short nuggets here and there.

Needless to say though, she (along with everyone else) will get their time in the spotlight.
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:05 am

Woohoo@being first! Any planned fun and potentially scandalous love triangles? I love you
    Affy
    Affy

Post by Affy Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:06 am

Really enjoying the comic so far. Always makes me crack up and I love your character designs. You always give Max facial expressions that make me smile, and Sid is just awesome. Can't wait to read more Smile
    tundraarcticwolf

Post by tundraarcticwolf Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am

*Tundra waves hello to Liz after registering*

I think that Broken Plot Device is one of the best and funniest web comics I have ever seen. I just adore your drawing style, and I love all of the characters, especially Sunny, Inix, Max, and Sid. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see what other adventures or interesting things will happen with the characters.

And now, I leave with a quote from Charles M. Schulz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip:

"A cartoonist must never forget that cartooning is drawing funny pictures."
    Hraesvelgn
    Hraesvelgn

Post by Hraesvelgn Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:05 am

*Waves at Liz and everyone else* Wow, it feels weird to get in on a forum at the start. Strangely nice though...

Huge fan of your drawing style, it's one of the most eye catching and attractive I've seen in a long while. I also really like the story arcs that seem to be cropping up more frequently now, it's fun to get a bit more background detail on all the characters. Can't wait to see more.

Razz
    Amai Crimson

The story so far.... Empty Sunny

Post by Amai Crimson Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:52 am

First off the comic is really good I found it linked through better days and was like "Hmm." that was months and months ago. Was a week or so till I got it all caught up and had alot of laughs. I love Sunny you dont see many moles at all but she is cute and so funny. I love all the charries just dont know who would be my favorite...keep up the good work and look forward to updates
    Shii
    Shii

Post by Shii Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:17 am

I think getting Jay Naylor to put a link on his site here was the best move you could've done. He gets HUGE traffic, and basically everyone I've seen here has come from that site.

Just a couple more intelligently-placed links, and you'll be set forever.

This was also a brilliant move, making a community for fans to hang out. Word of mouth really turns comics and forums like this into thriving places.

And unless I've missed them, not even Jay has forums. ;-) *scrawls a tally mark for Liz*

EDIT: I LOVE your avatar, hahah. It blew a raspberry at me and I was like WHOA, WHAT. x3
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Shii wrote:I think getting Jay Naylor to put a link on his site here was the best move you could've done. He gets HUGE traffic, and basically everyone I've seen here has come from that site.

Oh, totally. During the first few months of the comic's life, 90% of my traffic was referrals from Better Days. I can't possibly say how thankful I am for Jay's help in getting BPD started.

He gets, like, the biggest cookie ever.
    anubicdarque

Post by anubicdarque Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 pm

what do I think about the work you have done so far?

I love it! very simple I love it
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:44 pm

Lizardbeth wrote:He gets, like, the biggest cookie ever.

Whoa whoa WHOA! There's cookies involved? Do we get a cookie for standing out on the street with a BPD sign?! I do love cookies.
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Eigen wrote:
    Lizardbeth wrote:He gets, like, the biggest cookie ever.

Whoa whoa WHOA! There's cookies involved? Do we get a cookie for standing out on the street with a BPD sign?! I do love cookies.

As long as you're not blocking traffic or getting yourself run over. Wink
    Kadaga
    Kadaga

The story so far.... Empty *smiles*

Post by Kadaga Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Hooray hooray for all of BPD!! *waves* I'm not usually a forum person but hey, it's an awesome webcomic we're talkin about here, I can't -not- comment! I've tried working my own comic myself(though failed horribly) but you've definitely got the spunk.

So...what's up next for good ol' Maxine eh? She's a very creative girl, that's for sure.

Last edited by Kadaga on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Distiller
    Distiller

Post by Distiller Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Right from the beginning the illustrations put into the strips are fantastic. The writing is clever and quips are spot on. I love it so far.
    Restorf
    Restorf

Post by Restorf Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Another big fan of the comic, of course. ^^ I definitely can't wait to hear more about Inix's back story as well as she seems to have quite a bit of complexity to her.

Although I did nearly die of cute with you wrapped up to keep all warm. Your cute license is revoked till you learn to not use it as a deadly weapon! Very Happy
    Cassie
    Cassie

The story so far.... Empty Both eyes peeled!

Post by Cassie Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm

I like it, I think that sometimes online comics take themselves way too seriously, the one-offs like the ninjas kinda break up the storyline and add some humor, which is AOK by me, thanks!
    padfootsm
    padfootsm

Post by padfootsm Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Okay...so since everyone keeps talking about how great the comic is, I won't repeat all that. =3 You know how much we fans love your work Lizzie!

But I do have a quick and simple question. You've done a halloween strip. So will your characters follow the holidays at all? So far having Liz all wrapped up and hibernating is the first sign I've really seen of any seasonal issues being followed...will there be something related to Xmas...or should I just wait and see how the mood strikes you? Or will it just be a single pic to celebrate?

As I said, quick and simple. ^_^ Thanks!
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm

padfootsm wrote:Okay...so since everyone keeps talking about how great the comic is, I won't repeat all that. =3 You know how much we fans love your work Lizzie!

But I do have a quick and simple question. You've done a halloween strip. So will your characters follow the holidays at all? So far having Liz all wrapped up and hibernating is the first sign I've really seen of any seasonal issues being followed...will there be something related to Xmas...or should I just wait and see how the mood strikes you? Or will it just be a single pic to celebrate?

As I said, quick and simple. ^_^ Thanks!

I'd like to follow holidays more, but it won't become a "I HAVE to do something for x Holiday!!!" every year. It will probably be if the inspiration strikes me. Halloween will probably become a regular though, since coming up with fun and characterful costumes for everyone is a lot of fun. ^_^ Beyond that, it's a matter of being able to plan ahead and think of something that might fit the season and not interupt the overall flow too much.
    Restorf
    Restorf

Post by Restorf Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Sid needs to be the Prince of Persia next year. ^^
    padfootsm
    padfootsm

Post by padfootsm Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Liz!

I have another question...well, more than just 'another', but let's stick with one.

How did "Torgie" fit through the basement door? For that matter, how did Rodney carry it out to the trash himself?
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:18 pm

The building they all live in is a renovated factory building. While Sunny's apartment is in the basement, there would have to be some kind of large door or service elevator that lead from the basement to the outside... most likely off-limits to the tenants, but Rodney would be able to access it. Needless to say, Inix had a MUCH easier time getting it back in. Wink
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Not sure if this has been asked before, but..

Are the characters based on people you know or have seen throughout your life or are they just thoughts that popped into your head?
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Except for Liz and Sid, no one is based on just one person, but more a combonation of people I've known plus a bit of made-up personality. For example, Sunny has bits from one of my best friends in high school, and even my grandmother, along with other parts to her that I added in.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Sweet noodles, thats all I wanted to know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content