Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+10
LyonPride
Drako
Shii
Zombaholic
Pandora
Lord Grey II
DannyBoy
Koleyl
Eigen
Aecas
14 posters

12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life.

Arka

12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life. - Page 2 Empty Re: 12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life.

Post by Arka Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 am

Sylver forgot rule number one concerning dragonesses: when their eyes turn into glassy, white, lifeless orbs of unfeeling praxis, you need to relocate very, very quickly.
    Pandora
    Pandora

12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life. - Page 2 Empty Re: 12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life.

Post by Pandora Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:28 am

I should hope he'll learn that soon. I'd be even more disappointed if he didn't. I want to see some Inix-kicking-Sylver-butt action here.
    Zephyrion
    Zephyrion

Post by Zephyrion Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Not at all how I expected things to play out, well done.
    Slit

12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life. - Page 2 Empty No love for Sylver

Post by Slit Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 pm

What's with all the hate for Sylver? Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I like him, but there's a big difference between "I don't want to be around him" and "I think he should be beaten up to deflate his ego". Good job there using the same 'reasoning' school bullies use to pick on geeks! Or is it because he's a wolf? Racism is ugly in any form. Either way, such passion seems a bit misdirected when you're aiming it at a cartoon character, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

As for my thoughts, yeah, his ego is annoying, but he has so far expressed it in completely harmless ways, and indeed it's been pretty well established that he is in fact mostly harmless. Heck, Robo-Rex is more of a danger to the ladies than he is. Anyway, if you just sit back and wait, he'll either experience some character development, or he'll eventually annoy someone enough that they'll smack him around, and we can all enjoy a moment of Schadenfreude.
    (^.^)
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:53 am

Racism? Wow, uh, dude, you are reading into this waaaaaaay too much. Chill out. It's a web-comic. It, and our opinions of it, aren't a metaphor for racism and school-yard hatred.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 am

And even so, it's kinda hard to read racism into that anyways. Pandora said she didn't find wolves attractive, not that she hated them. I thought she hated Sylver for how he acted, not for what species he is.

And that's personalityism. And that's wrong. Wink
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Then we are all wrong cause everybody does it!
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't like Sylver for his character (or lack thereof) not because he's a wolf. I'm not partial to wolf characters because there's just way too dang many of them. It's the most common and cliche anthro character (followed by the fox) and I think people should think more outside the box when creating characters. Never said I hated wolves. And even if I did, how would that be racist? Some people don't like cats, but that isn't a sign of deeper-seated racism, they just don't like cats.

Either way it still doesn't matter. I'm not fond of guys that are so full of themselves that they would never let a "broad" touch their car because they might scratch it, nor do I like being called a "broad" by them. Sorry, but I respect myself more than that. Sylver falls under the category of unappealing jerk because the way he deludes himself into thinking he's god's gift to women, while treating them like crap. If anyone thinks I'm wrong for that, well, too bad.
    Slit

12/01/09 The Best Night Of Your Life. - Page 2 Empty Context - ur doin it wrong (sic)

Post by Slit Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Hah! This is funny. Did no one actually read what I said? I mean, it really looks like people read exactly two sentences out of my post and ignored the rest. I was never talking about real life racism. Those who observed that this is a comic are absolutely correct, and my comment was made in that spirit. Not only that, I even said it seemed odd to direct so much hatred at a cartoon character! Go figure!

In fact, my entire post was a mix of sarcasm and whimsy. It boggles my mind how anyone could read everything I wrote and then come to the conclusion that I truly thought Pan was racist. I made a true statement about racism that had deliberately absurd implications when juxtaposed with the preceding question. By implying an obviously ludicrous concept (i.e. Pan being racist), I hoped to point out how silly it was to hate a cartoon character. Apparently the joke is on me because some of you seem to think I'm loony enough to be serious!

Now, I'll just say this. Pan, I'm not going to go so far as to say you're wrong, but I do feel you're reading more into the comic than is explicitly stated. On the other hand, I'm not going to debate with someone if I know I'll have to go out of my way to explain myself. Been there, done that, got the indigestion. It does clear things up though to know that what you truly dislike about Sylver is his apparent chauvinism. Why ever didn't you say so sooner? Tsk.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am

You have to remember, this is the internet. It's not as easy to read people's expressions and actions from a wall of text unless they are explicit. Your style of writing lends itself to seriousness, which is why everyone assumed you were being serious.

That being said, I do believe you are a banana.

See what I did there?
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:36 am

Slit wrote:Hah! This is funny. Did no one actually read what I said? I mean, it really looks like people read exactly two sentences out of my post and ignored the rest. I was never talking about real life racism. Those who observed that this is a comic are absolutely correct, and my comment was made in that spirit. Not only that, I even said it seemed odd to direct so much hatred at a cartoon character! Go figure!

In fact, my entire post was a mix of sarcasm and whimsy. It boggles my mind how anyone could read everything I wrote and then come to the conclusion that I truly thought Pan was racist. I made a true statement about racism that had deliberately absurd implications when juxtaposed with the preceding question. By implying an obviously ludicrous concept (i.e. Pan being racist), I hoped to point out how silly it was to hate a cartoon character. Apparently the joke is on me because some of you seem to think I'm loony enough to be serious!

Now, I'll just say this. Pan, I'm not going to go so far as to say you're wrong, but I do feel you're reading more into the comic than is explicitly stated. On the other hand, I'm not going to debate with someone if I know I'll have to go out of my way to explain myself. Been there, done that, got the indigestion. It does clear things up though to know that what you truly dislike about Sylver is his apparent chauvinism. Why ever didn't you say so sooner? Tsk.

I have said it. Many times. Over and over again. Look in pretty much any topic concerning Sylver and you'll see that.

I agree with Lord Grey, your writing leads into a much more serious sounding demeanor. We can't hear sarcasm on the internet, and with such heavy things you put in your posts, it's difficult to NOT see them as serious. Especially this one and the one preceding it. As a matter of fact, I happen to think that you are the one taking the comic to seriously. Your posts are very extensive and insightful, but way too loaded for just an internet comic, which is made moreso by the fact that there is no differentiation in tone of voice or facial expression so we cannot tell immediately the way you mean for it to be interpreted.

On the other hand, I'm not going to debate with someone if I know I'll have to go out of my way to explain myself. Been there, done that, got the indigestion

If you are talking down to me in any way shape or form, knock it off now 'cause I'm not going to put up with it.

Also, developing opinions about the characters, their personalities, behaviors and actions is part of getting into the story and appreciating the writer's ability to "bring the characters to life" so to speak. If one can't get a real-life sort of feel for the characters in the story, then there's no point in reading it because the author hasn't done their job of grabbing your interest and pulling you in enough to get excited about what you're reading. This is us developing opinions, feelings, and getting into the reading. A comic, webcomic or not, is the same as reading a book. It has a story, plot, and characters. It just has a lot more pictures.
    Slit

Post by Slit Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 pm

You have to remember, this is the internet. It's not as easy to read people's expressions and actions from a wall of text unless they are explicit. Your style of writing lends itself to seriousness, which is why everyone assumed you were being serious.

Technically true, Lord Grey, except people have been communicating with the written word for a few thousand years, and that has never stopped writers from investing their works with a specific tone of voice. Still, I suppose I should have realized that using large words would make me sound like an intellectual, and we all know smart people don't have a sense of humor.

That was more of that sarcasm, just in case it wasn't obvious. Seriously though, I've been on message boards since the days of Usenet in the 80s. I'm usually pretty good at setting tone and reading other people's tones, but clearly I was off my game that night. Besides, you simply can't craft a perfectly unmistakable statement when opinion and emotion are involved. I honestly didn't think, however, that I'd be suspected of being a fruitcake. I was more worried my sarcasm might come across as being too acerbic. Ah well, as you say, this is the internet, and every message board that sees much use eventually acquires a fruitcake or two and some trolls. Que sera.

That being said, I do believe you are a banana.

So...I'm merely fruity rather than being a fruitcake? Hmmm...well, I do like rainbows...

(Since apparently my posts need them, a disclaimer: If there are any homosexuals here, the above sentence was meant only as a witty pun and not as any kind of negative value judgement. As I said once before, whatever floats your boat.)

On to you, Pan. I know you've been dying to hear from me. (More sarcasm there - not Sylver-esque ego.)

I have said it. Many times. Over and over again. Look in pretty much any topic concerning Sylver and you'll see that.

Mmm...nope, not in so many words. You've said:

I just hate seeing guys like him have their ego fueled.

I want to know what's going on here that made Inix dumb enough to go out with Sylver. I thought she was smarter than that.

But underneath all that...he's a jerk with an ego twice the size of Texas. I don't know about you but that cancels out his being rich to me.

I'm not fond of wolves. There are too many wolf characters. Sylver just falls short on everything with me.

She did rise up and act all mystical and aggressive when they first met, and he just called her a dumb chatty broad. She'd probably HAVE to use some kind of magic on him to settle him down, 'cause he sure as h*ll isn't going to do that on his own.

...I ain't touchin' that s**t. I'm being honest here.

No. I don't want to puke on myself. The thought of maybe even beginning to touch any part of my body to a guy like that makes me gag. *phlup*
    Oops...just puked a little in my mouth...

I should hope he'll learn that soon. I'd be even more disappointed if he didn't. I want to see some Inix-kicking-Sylver-butt action here.

That is what was said in this thread prior to my initial comment. I am not in the habit of perusing every thread in a forum to determine the opinions of people, and I don't know anyone who is. What you have stated here makes it very clear you dislike guys with big egos, you dislike Sylver, you find him nauseating, you wish him bodily harm, you don't think he will settle himself down, and as a side note, you don't even like his species. No chauvanism was mentioned or implied above. Ego is similar to chauvanism, but the two are not synonymous.

If you are talking down to me in any way shape or form, knock it off now 'cause I'm not going to put up with it.

See, this is precisely why I said I wasn't going to debate with you. You seem to be the one taking this conversation entirely too seriously - getting all snippy with short, choppy sentences like you're trying to channel Hemmingway then later verbally growling at me. No, I am not trying to belittle you and indeed the very precise wording of my earlier posts was an attempt not to run roughshod over your feelings which is ever so easy to do when one is disagreeing with another. Were I the sort that enjoyed making other people miserable, I would be hanging out at Something Awful or one of its ilk. I am, however, telling you quite plainly now, you need to lighten up. That's all I've ever really been saying, but my words keep falling on ears that won't hear.

You are free to have whatever opinion you want of Sylver (or me as well), but I do still maintain that getting all in a tizzy over a cartoon wolf is silly. I likewise agree that you are correct concerning forming opinions about characters. My criticism (word used in the literary sense) of your take on Sylver is not that you have attempted to extrapolate but rather that your biases seem to be strongly coloring your impression of the character. Lastly, let me say that whenever you read something on the internet which sounds like it might be negative, you will probably be a lot happier if you ask yourself, "Is there any way they could have meant something else by this statement?" Trust me, it does help.

Anyway, I think the horse has already been quite thoroughly shot by Colonel Mustard in the Library, so perhaps we should move on. Applying the wrench or the lead pipe to its carcass now seems a bit pointless and redundant.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 am

Slit wrote:Technically true, Lord Grey, except people have been communicating with the written word for a few thousand years, and that has never stopped writers from investing their works with a specific tone of voice. Still, I suppose I should have realized that using large words would make me sound like an intellectual, and we all know smart people don't have a sense of humor.

<snip>

Oh, I never said it was impossible. I merely implied that you were bad at it.

However, I agree with you. This argument is pointless, and it should stop. I would like to, however, point out that parts of your post are a little flame-baitey/trolling. Please cut it out.

I shouldn't have even posted...
    Slit

Post by Slit Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:20 am

Oh, I never said it was impossible. I merely implied that you were bad at it.

Ouch. I think my deadpan comedy routine has a heckler. No, really, I'm laughing on the inside. (Actually I did laugh, but what the heck, I figured I've said this much without a 'hah hah', I might as well end that way.)

I'm going to have to disagree on your assessment of my posts, but I think this is a matter of agreeing to disagree. Anything I might say in my defense would only prolong this mess.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:39 pm

getting all snippy with short, choppy sentences like you're trying to channel Hemmingway

Okay now, see this is what I'm talking about. You say things like this to me when you also previously call yourself an intellectual. I'm going to come out and say it, you act quite a lot like you think you are smarter than us and that is what I want you to KNOCK OFF. Saying that all your words fall on "ears that won't hear," saying that the use of "large words" makes you come off as intellectual, and then making some kind of comment about how people have been communicating with written word for thousands of years just because we haven't been able to immediately understand what you're saying (might I note, that though the "written word" has been a form of communication for years, personal interpretation has gone right along with it) DOES and HAS come of as rather snooty on your part. You get a sarcastic and superior attitude whenever someone doesn't write a novel about their insight to the comic like you do, and you get pissed at me because you can't seem to grasp why what you're saying is offensive. Why don't YOU stop and think "Maybe this isn't as serious as I'm trying to make it?"

Saying that it is "oh so easy" to run roughshod over my feelings is quite incorrect considering EVERYONE ELSE MANAGES TO GET ALONG WITH ME JUST FINE even on the politics topic. I'm not the one who needs to lighten up. I've been telling you you're taking our opinions of the characters in this comic too seriously for ages.

And think about it. Common sense here. I dislike guys with big egos. Sylver has a big ego. Therefore, I DISLIKE HIM BECAUSE OF HIS BIG, CHAUVANISTIC EGO. An "intellectual" like you should have been able to figure that out quickly without the use of big words.

I'm not going to be settled on this as long as you continue to make arrogant comments about your own writing ability and look down your nose at me for not being on your level, whether that level is real or perceived. I don't like arrogant people.

And I never said I disliked wolves. I said that there are too many wolf characters, therefore I think he is cliche and that has little appeal to me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see Rise of the Lycans, because though I believe wolves are cliche anthro characters, I am quite a fan of werewolves. It's vampires that I hold much disdain towards and if you wish to compare my demeanor to the characteristics of a lycanthrope, go ahead. Not going to rub me the wrong way any more than you already have.
    Slit

Post by Slit Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 pm

The following does not contain any sarcasm or humor since my attempts at levity haven't helped:

Pan, if I thought I was smarter than you, I wouldn't be expecting you to understand me. I am sorry if the way I disagreed with you offended you as that was never my intent, no matter what you seem to think. I have never said nor implied that I believe you or anyone else here to be beneath my intelligence - rather, until I see proof to the contrary, I generally assume everyone is at least as intelligent as me. I still believe you are intelligent enough to understand me, however it seems to me that you are letting your emotions cloud your reason. Either that or you were spoiling for a fight from the very first post I made, but I'd prefer not to believe you are that petty. The obsessive-compulsive part of me wants to attempt to correct more of your misperceptions, but I don't think that would go well, so yes, best we move on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:16 pm