Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

3 posters

Magic(k) Analysis

Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Magic(k) Analysis Empty Magic(k) Analysis

Post by Lord Grey II Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:28 am

The (k) in the title is a concession for Tease. Minor disagreement on spelling there between us. ;3

With the current story arc, I'm excited about finally getting some more background on Inix and the mystical stuff we've skirted around in the past. So! This thread is for conjecture of the Mystical ForcesTM of the BPD universe, the use of magic and/or magick, and the possible ramifications/existence of the BPD Spirit WorldTM!

To start, what powers the magic? Why can Inix use various spells and others can't? Is it a lost art, perhaps known only to those centuri- decades old? Or maybe magic does play a larger role in the BPD universe, and we simply haven't seen any other evidence of it yet?

As some of you are aware, I'm a fan of mana and it's various uses, but I don't really see it's application here, or at least, not in a way that I'm used to. My initial guess is that Inix (and perhaps others) simply have that awareness of the supernatural world and thus can manipulate it. This could mean that others could possibly do the same, making magic accessible to, well, not all, but more than just a chosen few.

And what about this supernatural world? We're in the middle of seeing demonic forces in play with this arc. My guess that there is actually a version of heaven/hell, complete with angels/demons and/or good/bad spirits etc etc etc.

I've more thoughts on the subject, but I now open the floor for conjecture and discussion.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Magic(k) Analysis Empty Re: Magic(k) Analysis

Post by Blackwolf Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:08 am

I'm a firm beiever in everyone has at least a minor magical ability, I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can think of times when you've done something, that by all rights you shouldn't have been able to.
    As for BPD characters.
    - Sid seems to have the ability to mainfest a cutlass when needed.
    - Zig admitted himself that he doesn't know why Rex is as aware as he is.

So perhaps all BPD characters have little hints of magical ability, but I agree with your thoughts on Inix.
    As for the modern world, why spend time a learning spell to create light when you can simply flick a light switch on ?
    Intrested in your thoughts Grey, as always this hints at being an intresting topic
    Drako
    Drako

Post by Drako Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 am

Hm. To me, it seems more like an old religion: it's there, but most people don't know about it anymore (like Zoroastrianism), and of those that do know about it, not many people still practice it. I think it's possible a lot more people could learn to use magic, it's just that noone thinks about it anymore because of technology.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:28 am