Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+7
Pandora
CalDayton
Zombaholic
Teh Chay
Arka
Shii
Lord Grey II
11 posters

Desktop Thread! (Pic Warning)

Pandora
    Pandora

Desktop Thread! (Pic Warning) - Page 2 Empty Re: Desktop Thread! (Pic Warning)

Post by Pandora Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 pm

TOLD YOU not to use wikipedia...it's unreliable CRAP. Especially with stuff like this.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:47 pm

In it's defense, it is as reliable as Encyclopedia Britanica and it told me everything else about the character. You know, if you don't like that it omitted that fact, you can go and, you know, add it.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:00 am

On a kinda related note

Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool in the up and coming X-Men: Origins movie.

edit*
    And Holy Crap Ray Park is Snake Eyes in the new G.I. Joe movie...I need to read more movie news!
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:59 am

Lord Grey II wrote:In it's defense, it is as reliable as Encyclopedia Britanica and it told me everything else about the character. You know, if you don't like that it omitted that fact, you can go and, you know, add it.

And in my defense, every time I tried to use it, there would always be one of three things on the page:

"Citation needed"
    "Incomplete information"
    "Invalidated source."

And wikipedia is nowhere near as reliable as a real encyclopedia. Not to mention a friend of mine informed me that some schools in Canada have banned it's use for research on projects because of it's unreliability. It has nothing to do with what it does or does not say about Deadpool, it's the fact that every time I've tried to use it either the information source or the information itself is either incomplete or invalid.

I do not trust wikipedia.
    CalDayton
    CalDayton

Post by CalDayton Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 am

all of my college profs have said that it's not an acceptable citation. it DOES, however, have links to pages that ARE acceptable citations, so it is a good starting point for many research projects.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 am

Wikipedia itself isn't reliable. It's the other websites that it has links to are (well...SOME...)
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia
    Nature reported in 2005 that science articles in Wikipedia were comparable in accuracy to those on Encyclopædia Britannica's web site.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Errors_in_the_Encyclopædia_Britannica_that_have_been_corrected_in_Wikipedia[/url]
    It's extensive.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

So, all I'm saying is... wikipedia is pretty good.

Colleges banned wikipedia not because of accuracy issues, but because anybody could edit pages and how frequently it got edited. For example, a person writes something into wikipedia that is totally false, quotes himself in a paper, and then points to it like it is a source of research.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:58 pm

For general information and trivial facts wiki is great. But for actual in depth research it is horrible.

But the wiki article I read did talk about Deadpool's 4th wall breakage. So I got the general info I wanted from wiki.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Um, can anyone else actually see what I wrote in my last post? Cause I can't...
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 pm

That's a negative captain. I'm seeing blank up there.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am

I see. Let me repost it then.

Lord Grey II wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia
    Nature reported in 2005 that science articles in Wikipedia were comparable in accuracy to those on Encyclopædia Britannica's web site.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Errors_in_the_Encyclopædia_Britannica_that_have_been_corrected_in_Wikipedia[/url]
    It's extensive.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

So, all I'm saying is... wikipedia is pretty good.

Colleges banned wikipedia not because of accuracy issues, but because anybody could edit pages and how frequently it got edited. For example, a person writes something into wikipedia that is totally false, quotes himself in a paper, and then points to it like it is a source of research.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am

What the bloody hell.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:20 am

That's...very weird...
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:32 am

Hmm... well, if anyone wants to read it, you can click the quote button.

On that note, does anyone else have a problem seeing signatures? I've got them enabled and I've never seen one, not even my own...
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah, I have that problem too. I keep going back to check to make sure they are enabled, but I never see any.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 pm

I just thought we were all signatureless creatures!
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:43 am

Apparently not. There's probably something wrong with the signatures.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am

What do you guys think of my other potential wallpapers?

Desktop Thread! (Pic Warning) - Page 2 Tribal-1

Desktop Thread! (Pic Warning) - Page 2 Florensia_System

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:12 pm