Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+16
Coydog
Zephyrion
Night Dragon
Jimbo
Nilo Kaal
Sideromelane
Drako
Keyou-bi
Blackwolf
Hraesvelgn
Winds
Eigen
Lizardbeth
dragonmanmike
Shii
Teasealot
20 posters

Eve Online

Teasealot
    Teasealot

Eve Online Empty Eve Online

Post by Teasealot Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Just wondering if any BPD fans play Eve Online? I do, and my Main is Danika CatDancing if you want to contact me.
    Shii
    Shii

Eve Online Empty Re: Eve Online

Post by Shii Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm not familiar with Eve Online.

Is it an MMO like Second Life? Or is it a game like WoW?
    dragonmanmike
    dragonmanmike

Post by dragonmanmike Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:30 pm

its like WoW but in space with space ships. pretty good game I've played it before. i liked it but never got hugely into it
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:39 pm

I've heard of Eve. It intrigued me, but being I have a Mac I'm rather limited on what games I can play (I.E. WoW). What do you do in the game? What's the gameplay like?
    Eigen
    Eigen

Post by Eigen Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:28 pm

EvE i've always had a love hate relationship with. It's kinda like a very traditional RPG in that it's incredibly expansive and in depth. The roleplay environment is probably the biggest in an MMO since Anarchy Online (to me) for a cyberpunk/future game.

You basically are a pilot in a pod, you train skills over time and you can pilot any number of ships. There's hundreds of skills and things to know about piloting, such that there's so much to see and do in the game. The only downside is that if you're not in a good guild with lots of people online...space can be a boring thing Sad I got my training up high enough over time that i was able to get the final third level ship of the tier 2 mining barges (a Hulk)..it's really great but it's hard to mine alone. The best way is with friends that can help defend against NPC pirates (or real pvp pirates if in low security space) and have one to haul ore...so all the miners do is mine and the hauler hauls back to a station! Without friends around...teh boring Sad

I'd definately play again if enough were around for some fun!

I love how the ship sizes vary, and there's ships that take hundreds of people to work together to make and, properly, the ship itself is so flippin' big your guildies can actually dock INSIDE it while it's being piloted by the owner. (See reference chart...you start with those little teeny specs: http://www.eve-files.com/media/12/eve_chart-rmr.jpg )

I think there's only a few of those biggest titans though
    Shii
    Shii

Post by Shii Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:40 pm

Huh, that seems really cool. I'm personally too big into Runescape to play much else, but still.

Might need to check it out sometime.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Eve Online Empty Eve

Post by Teasealot Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:39 am

Liz, one of the officers in the corporation I'm in uses a Mac to play Eve.
    There's presently a trial service running that'll let you play for 3 weeks without having to pay so if you want to check it out, come on in.
    If you like it, I can try and get you into the same corp as me, we can be a little nuts sometimes but we do help each other when we can. presently it's small but trying to expand.

Oh, if you do decide to play... complete the tutorials!!! Trust me on that.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:29 pm

I would play EVE if it weren't for the fact that its pay to play.
    Thats a big turn off for me.

However, a friend that used to play was explaining to me the dynamics of how the game functions.
    Needless to say, its very interesting and complex.
    If you enjoy a player-based/player-functioning game, have cash to burn and like space games, I'd highly recommend it.
    Hraesvelgn
    Hraesvelgn

Post by Hraesvelgn Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:36 am

I would love to get into more MMO's like EVE, but I'm using a nearly dead laptop so I need to be sure that I can actually run these games. And about 80% of the time I either can't or the performance is so low it's not worth bothering.

Would anyone happen to have the system requirements handy, by any chance?
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 am

Hraesvelgn wrote:I would love to get into more MMO's like EVE, but I'm using a nearly dead laptop so I need to be sure that I can actually run these games. And about 80% of the time I either can't or the performance is so low it's not worth bothering.

Would anyone happen to have the system requirements handy, by any chance?

Minimum System Requirements:

* CPU: Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
    * RAM: 512 MB or more
    * HD space: 6.0 GB
    * Network: 56k modem or better Internet connection
    * Video: 32 MB 3D graphics card. NVIDIA GeForce 2 Series or greater, ATI Radeon 7200 or greater and Similar chips from other manufacturers
    * Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers

Recommended system configuration for running EVE Online:

* CPU: Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
    * RAM: 1024 MB
    * HD space: 6.0 GB
    * Video: 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6200 class card or higher, ATI 9000 series or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
    * Network: Broadband Internet connection
    * Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
    Hraesvelgn
    Hraesvelgn

Post by Hraesvelgn Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:01 am

Ta for that Winds. Though I think it'll have to wait until I get myself a new system this Christmas, my laptop absolutely hates any game that specifically asks for an ATI or nVidia card. Evil or Very Mad
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Eve Online Empty Eve

Post by Teasealot Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah, you have to pay to play, after the 3 weeks trial (which you can upgrade to a full account if you like it) but you DON'T have to pay for the game and you get all the expansion packs FREE. All you pay for is the time. Smile
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Fri May 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Eve's minimum requirements have changed...
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 am

The reason I switched from Wow to EvE just before the Lich King..... was Wow you need a group of friends to quest.
    EvE, yes it does help to have wingmen but (and heres the thing) that's only if you want to, theres so much to do it's overwhelming.

you can mine, all you need is a ship and a mining laser (granted you need the skill: Mining), unlike wow where theres nodes and if someone beats you to it you'r out of luck, the fields in EvE are MASSIVE and respawn quickly, theres Exploration (somewhat skill intensive) and 'Ratting which involves cruising though a system belt and attacking any npc rats you find.
    You also can find deadspace complexes (similar to instances from Wow). And thats just the tip of the iceberg.

As for characters, your all human from one of 4 civilizations, each with thier own style of ship. But, you're not limited to your own races ships and flying another race's ships is as simple as learning the skill (often <Races> Frigates) and buying a ship.

PvP is by choice only, the systems have a security rating from 1 (homeworld) to 0.0 (lowest), aslong as you stick to 0.5 or higher anyone who attacks you has the npc police jump on them and they can devestate aggressive ships quite quickly. The only exception to this if you are in a Player owned Corporation (Think of a WoW guild) you can be war decleared at which point the hostile corp members can attack you no matter the sec rating.

As for paying for it, name a online game with high quality gameplay/graphics that you DON'T have to pay for, EvE however you can buy gametime using in game currency.

Granted the recent graphics upgrade sucks if you have a older computer but it's good fun
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm

OMG fellow EVE fans?

I have been playing for about 2 and a half years now. I have done mostly combat. People have asked me to do these "industrial" things, that involve shooting at "roids" with mining lasers. It confused me when the "roids" did not shoot back or move. I then went and killed pirates and "mined" their burning wrecks for modules and called it all the same thing.

Its a really great game but requires a lot of time and effort. Its really a game for people who want to forge their own story rather then being told what to do and what to kill. One of the neatest things is that you character has no level limits set on him/her. They can evolve as time goes on and they can do more and more things. That being said there is not a single character in the game that can do everything. The unfortunate problem with eve is that you have a learning curve that resembles a cliff. But if you join, I can help you out. There are a lot of people who are more then willing to get you on your feet. The game is huge; 300,000 people all on the same server. And its almost totally player run. So let me know and I can help you get your feet wet. =P
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 am

Whats your ident?
    Mines is Decon Hawke (Caladari)
    Feel free to Evemail me if you want
    (my chat boxes are normally minimized while I mission)
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Sent you an EVE mail. If you did not get it please let me know. Because that means I just told a complete stranger that I am a fur =P

PS. If anyone wants a free trial please let me know. I can send you a free 21 day trial.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I did get the EvEmail and enjoyed our chat, havn't been online due to the addivtive nature of Fallout 3.
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:47 pm

WARNING: Fallout 3 may cause the fallowing: Itchy dry eyes, soar thumbs/fingers, a sudden onset of a belife that a vault is awesome and needed, cramped arms, an unusual love for pip-boy, a raising of your karma, conversly; a lowering of your karma, sudden attack by deathclaws, dry mouth, and hunger.

PLEASE: get up and enjoy the world outside, have some food and drinks, they will be provided by the Vault-Tech handyman.

Thank you for your time

A message from Vault-Tech

((no worries dude, i had a huge 600 man fleet battle the other day. It was epic))
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:20 pm

<<EvE strikes your wallet perfectly for £14.99>>
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Hmmm, while true, i look at it this way

EVE Online (CCP) perfectly strikes your life! Wrecking for 2.34 years!

Im taking a bit of a break from eve. about a day or so so you may not see me on. If any other furs from here join eve let the into the fur channel if you like.
    Drako
    Drako

Post by Drako Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Never played EVE myself, but I have watched the Zero Punctuation on it.
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:38 pm

The zero punctuation is a good review. It really sights all the issues with EVE. But that being said, its really a game that can not be reviewed after playing the game for only a month. Its a game that really does not start to get very interesting till after you have skilled up a lot. So you are looking at about 3-6 months of real world time.
    Drako
    Drako

Post by Drako Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:21 pm

If a game doesn't start to interest me from the beginning, I'm probably not going to play it.
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 pm

It did for me. I was a fan of Escape Velocity, and eve is like super huge version of that with about 5 million times the complexity. So i loved it from day one. The 21 day trial really does let you get really into the universe before you go "okay you got me" and start paying to play. In that time you can get into a prity serious mining ship, or if you are a combat person, a battlecruiser. But like any game, you don't know until you try it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content