Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+8
Slit
Arka
Winds
Pandora
LyonPride
Koleyl
Masterweaver
Lord Grey II
12 posters

An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09

Pandora
    Pandora

An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09 - Page 2 Empty Re: An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09

Post by Pandora Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:39 am

My first encounter with you shouldn't be the judge of every encounter. That is a bit of a dead horse don't you think?

A lot of my encounters with Masterweaver are a bit misinterpreted if you think they too, were heated. Unfortunately we don't have the benefit of tone of voice or facial expression on the internet so sorry if you thought I was getting angry in any of those, but I assure you I was not. I choose to state my views in a little more of a detailed manner sometimes.

....Who from Black Lagoon? I don't really watch that show. XD

And what does "tl;dr" mean?
    Winds
    Winds

An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09 - Page 2 Empty Re: An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09

Post by Winds Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:29 am

No it shouldn't, but first impressions can be pretty cruel.

Well ya sure fooled me. Honestly, after that zombie thread I though it'd only be a matter of time before you went off like a rocket and left the forums. I've seen it happen many times before. But really, I'm glad you're still here. You have a personality that many do not, and those that do don't handle or fluant it correctly.

You are very much like Revy. In fact, I think thats what I'll call you from now on.
    Or "Revy the Second"..."R2" for short...Hmm..Nah, "Revy"'s good enough.

And tl;dr means "too long; didn't read."
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:20 am

Winds wrote:And tl;dr means "too long; didn't read."

Razz
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 am

Ah okay. I've seen it used before on some other forums and I'm not too versed in chatspeak shorthands like that.

I like to think of myself as a b*tch. But b*tch is beautiful...it would take a while for me to explain what I mean by that. If I could, I would show you "The B*tch Manifesto."
    Masterweaver

Post by Masterweaver Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:58 am

DON'T YOU DARE INSULT THE B-TCH!

They are amongst the most noble races on the planet of Orphecian and have single-handedly (well, talonedly) reversed many of the galaxies natural disasters. Their charitable donations alone are enough to--

Wait... hold on...

I've just been informed you were referring to a curse word in english that for one character is spelled the same. Sorry about that.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 am

Pandora wrote:I like to think of myself as a b*tch. But b*tch is beautiful...it would take a while for me to explain what I mean by that. If I could, I would show you "The B*tch Manifesto."

I'm curious as to what this manifesto says. For b*tchiness is good... in small amounts. Full time... well there's a reason it's a curse word...
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Pandora wrote:Ah okay. I've seen it used before on some other forums and I'm not too versed in chatspeak shorthands like that.

I like to think of myself as a b*tch. But b*tch is beautiful...it would take a while for me to explain what I mean by that. If I could, I would show you "The B*tch Manifesto."
    You dont need to explain, I'm well aware of its beauty already.

Grey, thats all in perspective. I think of it this way, if you're a bitch in small amounts it makes you look like you're trying to conceal it and failing. Be a bitch all the time and you're letting people know who you are and that you're not afraid to be the person that many people will not like. It takes a certain boldness, but you'll never have fake friends I can assure you that.
    Arka

Post by Arka Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:04 pm

There's a difference between being genuine and having genuine friends by acting assertively and with aggressive self affirmation...and being a bitch.

It's a misused word. You don't have to act like a bitch to possess all the positive qualities of the Universal Bitch.
    Zombaholic
    Zombaholic

Post by Zombaholic Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Lord Grey II wrote:
    Pandora wrote:I like to think of myself as a b*tch. But b*tch is beautiful...it would take a while for me to explain what I mean by that. If I could, I would show you "The B*tch Manifesto."

I'm curious as to what this manifesto says. For b*tchiness is good... in small amounts. Full time... well there's a reason it's a curse word...

SHE KICKED ME IN THE SHIN! What a Beetch
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Here, I shall post my blog on the b*tch manifesto.

I picked up a very interesting book today on radical feminism. It caught my eye because the title made me think of that insane nutcase I flamed a little while ago on her blog. Not sure if I mentioned that, but in case I didn't...I flamed an insane nutcase on her blog.

To explain it better, there was this crazy radical feminist lesbian that had this blog about how much she hates men. Now, I haven't got any qualms with lesbians, and I consider myself a feminist, but she was just over-the-top, out of her mind, batsh*t crazy. She was saying things like "No man should ever, EVER be allowed to be around a child." and "The world would be a better place without men, if it just had women instead." (yeah...we'd go extinct if that happened) and that "Even little boys are sex-driven freaks on the same paths as their sexist elders."

So you see...this woman was out of her mind. There was nothing logical about her blog. So, I flamed her. And I laughed while I did it. Twisted Evil

Anyway, I saw this book, Radical Feminism and the title made me think of her and I just had to take a gander.

I was suprised. Big time.

This book was not what I was expecting. I immediately noticed the vast, collossal differences in the views expressed in this book compared to the rambling insanities of the woman I flamed. The things in this book were speeches and articles written by women involved in the feminist movement, and had a preface about the life of Susan B. Anthony. These articles were intended for the purpose of empowering women, promoting sisterhood, and proving to a largely patriarcal society that women are more than they are given credit for. It was amazing.

One of my favorite articles I read was called the "B*tch Manifesto." Intreguing title ain't it? It was an intreguing article too.

It said things like the word "b*tch" has always been female oriented. Whether you are referring to a female dog, or using a derogatory word toward women, it is a male-created term for females. Here are two quotes from said article:

"Like the term "ni**er", "b*tch" serves the social function of isolating and discrediting a class of people who do not conform to the socially accepted patterns of behavior."

"B*TCH is an organization which does not yet exist. B*TCH does not use this word in a negative sense. A woman should be proud to declare she is a b*tch, because B*tch is Beautiful. It should be an act of affirmation by self and not negation by others....The most prominent characteristic of all b*tches is that they rudely violate conceptions of "proper" sex role behavior. They violate them in different ways, but they all violate them. Their attitudes toward themselves and other people, their goal orientations, their personal style, their appearance and way of handeling their bodies all jar people and make them feel uneasy. ....What is disturbing about a b*tch is that she is androgynous. She incorporates within herself qualities traditionally defined as "masculine" as well as feminine. A b*tch is blunt, direct, arrogent, at times, egotistic. She has no liking for the indirect, subtle, mysterious ways of the "eternal feminine." She disdains the vicarious life deemed natural to women because she wants to live a life of her own."

What I like about this article, aside from the two above quotes, is that is says a lot about how women should, instead of feeling insulted or demeaned by being called a "b*tch" she should feel proud because she's breaking the traditional gender roles of women. It means that she has, in some way, stepped out of the mold set down for women by society and achieved some indepenance as a human. One more quote:

"Therefore, if taken seriously, a b*tch is a threat to the social structures which enslave women and the social values which justify keeping them in their place."

So, after having read that, I say I am a b*tch. And I'm proud of it. Women, the next time someone calls you a "b*tch," THANK THEM. It's a compliment. You've been deemed a destroyer of gender roles (and it pretty much takes away the insulting power of whom so ever called you one.)

(However...I don't condone taking that negative angle and pretty much being a jerk ("b*tch") to other people. I mean be confident and independent and don't settle for gender role norms. Don't be rude to people.)
    Slit

Post by Slit Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Mmmm...I'm none too sanguine with turning insults into badges of honor. This kind of fix sounds good because it boosts the ego, but there's danger when this sort of idea gets in the hands of people who aren't wise enough to use it properly. Aside from possible misunderstandings that can occur, when an insult is taken as a compliment, it can encourage people to act in ways that are socially unacceptable by ANY measure. The very few times I've used words such as b*tch, bastard, or @$$hole, I was describing someone that was being outright unpleasant to be around - gender roles had nothing to do with it. In short, I've heard too many people who claimed they were proud to be a b*tch, bastard, etc. and they were emulating the traditional meaning of the insult.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Read the final line of the manifesto, Slit.
    Slit

Post by Slit Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 am

I saw it. I just hope everyone that reads it reads that part too.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:11 am

I only have one problem with that passage, the comparison of an insult/badge of honor [however you want to take it]
    to that of a racial slur. They are not the same, as it says they are. Not in the least bit.
    Anyone of any race can be called a bitch and have the word hold the same meaning.
    But you can ask anyone those two words [or any other racial slur] can be compared on the same level; you're answer will always be no. Racial slurs are not based on behavior, they're based on culture, lineage, sterotypes,skin color and location of origin.

Anyway,
    I think we've launched ourselves off topic quite nicely, wouldn't you all agree?
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 am

...I think they can be compared considering they were both created to disparage an entire population. Some people (you know this is true so don't pull the racist card) use the word n*gger among themselves as friends. You know it, I know it, it may be pretty dumb to do that and then get mad about the word, but it's true. I'm sure at some point in time you've heard someone refer to their friend by saying something along the lines of "S'up my n*ggah." Same thing with the word b*tch.

Anyway, yeah, we are way off topic. Like, massively so. This would be a good time to get back to where we should be.

Anyway, I'm hoping the next comic won't have any more to do with Liz in the snow. It's cute for now, but I think any more would be dragging it out a bit.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 pm

I'd like to continue that conversation,Pandora, to tell you strict differences between the slang word and the racial slur, and trust me there is, and it has hardly anything to do to do with who says the word either. But not here.

I really don't mind if Liz continues this. Truly, for me I felt that she left the Sylver arc at a perfect hanging point where she can put a couple of other comics in before she tells us what happened.
    Slit

Post by Slit Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 pm

That was my feeling too, Winds, but I used a lot more words to say it. Heh...no surprise, I've been hearing all my life that I talk too much.
    (^.^);
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Okay, we can continue the conversation via pm's, but I'll tell you beforehand, I'm not of the mind to change my view. Soo...if that's what you're aiming to do...it's probably going to be an exercise in futility. Can't post opinion and say it's fact no matter how passionate you are about it.

I'm just thinking that there's already been two comics of Liz not doing anything particularly important. Three would be kind of a drag-out for me. If she's not going to continue any arcs, at least have someone doing something that doesn't involve Liz in the snow again.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:54 pm

I caught on pretty quickly that you're pretty much a brick wall, so no I'm not trying to change your mind. Just giving you the full view of where Im coming from and why.

-Leans down and rolls up a good sized snow ball- You have problem with Lizards and snow, Revy? You're putting an awful lot of negative emphasis on the two.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 pm

An Artist's Work is Never Done 02/12/09 - Page 2 Snowballs

Very Happy
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Well, what kind of a person would I be if I couldn't stand for my own opinions? I'm open to other ideas, I just like to preserve my own at the same time.

No, I don't have a problem with lizards and snow, I just think three comics in a row of the liz doing the same thing gets kind of redundant when one is aiming for random silliness.
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Well you wouldn't be standing up right, thats for sure.

Redundant...maybe, but I think its enjoyable to see what would normally be repellent polar opposites come together. -Tosses the snowball at Pandora-
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 pm

*ducks* grrrrrrr *Makes Maxine face*
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Winds wrote: -Tosses the snowball at Pandora-

That'll be five cents sir.

And if you want to claim you made that one, go ahead, but then I'll sue you for copyright infringement. Razz
    Winds
    Winds

Post by Winds Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 pm

-Sticks his tongue out at Pandora before looking at Grey while kneeling down to roll another-

Well I cannot tell a lie...[thats a lie]

I made that snowball.
    Though I wouldn't sue me if I were you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:45 pm