Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+30
nirvana
vincent5000x
SaneIntolerant
Cuboos
floppybelly
ShavedIguana
UFAlien
TheJimTimMan
Starcleaver
The Dog
Chesamo
Bosco1513
Coach Fellows
Invalid
crazzycat
Koleyl
LastArcher
Coydog
Teh Chay
Cypher
DannyBoy
Night Dragon
SD
Lord Grey II
Pandora
Teasealot
Blackwolf
Jimbo
Keyou-bi
Nilo Kaal
34 posters

Official Video Game Thread

SD
    SD

Official Video Game Thread - Page 29 Empty Re: Official Video Game Thread

Post by SD Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Portal 2 to have Cross Platform Play- http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1144372p1.html

There's a few things that concern me about this. The first being compatibility issues, the only other game that I can think of that did console and computer cross play was Shadowrun for the 360 and PC. While it used the same service (Xbox LIVE) PC gamers had to pay the fee in order to play online period, which is something they all had issues with. Given that PSN is the usual service and Steam pretty much takes care of itself I sense issues. The article does say that the PS3 version will have Steamworks included, but the question is how well will it work?

There's also the issue of input controls. While I genuinely prefer a game pad over a mouse and keyboard as I understand it PC users generally have an advantage and can react faster thanks to quicker and smoother controls. This may make for frustrating experiences and end up with PC users only looking for PC users to cut out the issue.

And of course there's the issue of whether or not Microsoft will get in on this and I'm making a prediction of "No." Simply because Microsoft will in no way shape or form interact with Sony and because of that Valve will just design the game to use Xbox Live instead of Steamworks. Making it so only 360 users will play with 360 users. (Which, after rereading this to myself probably won't be a bad thing for me since I only have a 360 and tried Steam and disliked it.)

There's also the issue of Gabe Newell being a hypocrite (read distaste for console platforms) but that's answered simply. Sony gave him money, he becomes their bitch.

I'm sure Portal 2 will be a great game, but this cross platform thing doesn't strike me. It's probably going to end up being ignored. And if that's the case why bother with it?
    Kvothe
    Kvothe

Post by Kvothe Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 am

News dump, 3 this time.

1) Portal 2 is also supposed to allow console games (360, PS3) to access community created maps from the PC:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107219-Everyone-Gets-Every-Portal-2-Mod-Level-on-Every-Platform
    2)
    your mom hates dead space:

I really don't think that's the right marketing tack to take for this. I mean, isn't the "ultra-violent goresplosion ubersawer 5000" image something that video games in general are trying to shake? Games like that exist (see above and below), but not all games embody that stereotype. I mean, look at LittleBigPlanet, or Rock band, or the Professor Layton series.

3)
    invaders must die:

...I think I just grew a third testicle.

SD
    SD

Post by SD Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Health Warnings Could Appear on Games- http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1146277p1.html

*at a glance* Oh this is probably about Kinect and Move and how to take it easy. *sees Joe Baca's name.* Sigh...this same old song and d-bag again?
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Actually it's not about Kinect, it's about the "evidence" of a neurological link between violent games and violent behaviour. Baca (whose surname I find funny) has several universities and health groups sayin' they have found a link between violent beheaviour and exposure to violent games.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/us-congressman-renews-game-warning-label-call
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Teasealot wrote:Actually it's not about Kinect, it's about the "evidence" of a neurological link between violent games and violent behaviour. Baca (whose surname I find funny) has several universities and health groups sayin' they have found a link between violent beheaviour and exposure to violent games.

Ye gods, I get enough of this in my social psych classes. Yes, we've proved that violent video games and violent behavior is correlated. Now, what's that phrase that we should all know?

Say it with me.

Correlation does not equal causation.

We can't prove that violent video games cause violent behavior, because no psychologist would be permitted to run a true experiment along those lines. It'd be unethical and the IRB (Institutional Review Board, they handle ethical claims and approve studies) would never approve of it. However... doesn't it make perfect sense that violent people would naturally be attracted to... violent video games? The mind boggles.

I want a politician that understands correlation.
    Nilo Kaal
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm

http://kotaku.com/5744485/the-psp-2-revealed

Anout damn time they came out with a competent successor... And with dual analogs no less!
    Bosco1513
    Bosco1513

Post by Bosco1513 Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Nilo Kaal wrote:http://kotaku.com/5744485/the-psp-2-revealed

Anout damn time they came out with a competent successor... And with dual analogs no less!
    My mind has been blown. I will be buying one when it comes out in the US.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Crysis 2 Multiplayer Trailer

I'm starting to get sick of Invaders Must Die.

Anyway, just got finished playing the demo to this and it's NOTHING like the trailer as usual. I partially blame the developers for locking out a bunch of the abilities and forcing you to grind through the levels to get them, but I mainly blame the people who play the game since (as per the status quo) the average Xbox Live user goes lone wolf and feeds the other team kills making it harder to rank up.

Also...why is this out on the 360? Wouldn't a PC demo make more sense and be more practical?
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Bosco1513 wrote:

And there's a god chance that they won't be allowed near a military base (or ship) due to their wi-fi abilities, bein' seen as a potential security breach.
    Bosco1513
    Bosco1513

Post by Bosco1513 Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Teasealot wrote:
    Bosco1513 wrote:

And there's a god chance that they won't be allowed near a military base (or ship) due to their wi-fi abilities, bein' seen as a potential security breach.
    Lol, as long as it's not ferbie, I think it'll be allowed. Wink
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Bosco1513 wrote:
    Teasealot wrote:
    Bosco1513 wrote:

And there's a good chance that they won't be allowed near a military base (or ship) due to their wi-fi abilities, bein' seen as a potential security breach.
    Lol, as long as it's not ferbie, I think it'll be allowed. Wink

Homeland Security.
    Nilo Kaal
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 am

Teasealot wrote:
    Bosco1513 wrote:

Well, if they're letting me bring my laptop once I get out of basic I'm pretty sure they'll allow a handheld system that uses wi-fi.
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

Post by Cuboos Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 am

the original PSP disappointed me... this one i have some hope for though...
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 pm

So uh...was playing Dead Space 2 (great game by the way, if you don't mind a decent amount of creep factor) and doing my normal thing. Play the game on normal to get a feel for it and enjoy the story, then take what I know and go through the hardest difficulty setting. In Dead Space you have to beat the game once in order to unlock the hardest setting, which is fine. So after the credits rolled I saw that I unlocked new stuff and could access Hardcore mode, the hardest difficultly. This is the message I read in regards to Hardcore mode: "Hardcore Mode is not for the faint of heart, ammo and health is scarce and enemies inflict major amounts of damage. Nothing from your previous save carries over, checkpoints are disabled and you can only save three times. Good luck...you'll need it."

What. The. Fuck. I know games have been getting progressively easier over the years in favor of expanding on multiplayer experiences but...that's just evil.
    vincent5000x
    vincent5000x

Post by vincent5000x Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 am

SD wrote:So uh...was playing Dead Space 2 (great game by the way, if you don't mind a decent amount of creep factor) and doing my normal thing. Play the game on normal to get a feel for it and enjoy the story, then take what I know and go through the hardest difficulty setting. In Dead Space you have to beat the game once in order to unlock the hardest setting, which is fine. So after the credits rolled I saw that I unlocked new stuff and could access Hardcore mode, the hardest difficultly. This is the message I read in regards to Hardcore mode: "Hardcore Mode is not for the faint of heart, ammo and health is scarce and enemies inflict major amounts of damage. Nothing from your previous save carries over, checkpoints are disabled and you can only save three times. Good luck...you'll need it."

What. The. Fuck. I know games have been getting progressively easier over the years in favor of expanding on multiplayer experiences but...that's just evil.

what u see as evil i see as my next playthrough Very Happy
    Cuboos
    Cuboos

Location : [governator voice]Cal-li-forn-nia[/governator voice]

Post by Cuboos Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 am

SD wrote:So uh...was playing Dead Space 2 (great game by the way, if you don't mind a decent amount of creep factor) and doing my normal thing. Play the game on normal to get a feel for it and enjoy the story, then take what I know and go through the hardest difficulty setting. In Dead Space you have to beat the game once in order to unlock the hardest setting, which is fine. So after the credits rolled I saw that I unlocked new stuff and could access Hardcore mode, the hardest difficultly. This is the message I read in regards to Hardcore mode: "Hardcore Mode is not for the faint of heart, ammo and health is scarce and enemies inflict major amounts of damage. Nothing from your previous save carries over, checkpoints are disabled and you can only save three times. Good luck...you'll need it."

that actually sounds kinda cool...
    Nilo Kaal
    Nilo Kaal

Post by Nilo Kaal Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:55 am

However, the reward for beating it on hardcore mode is pretty fun...

Bosco1513
    Bosco1513

Post by Bosco1513 Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:58 am

Nilo Kaal wrote:

Spoiler:
    Lol. Pew pew pew. Bang. Pew pew pew pew pew pew. Bang. Bang.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Nilo Kaal wrote:

I heard of that which is why it almost makes it worth it, almost.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 pm

The silliness of the Hand Cannon has destroyed any interest I had in the Dead Space Franchise.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 am

Playing Dragon Age : Origns for 14 straight hours
    AWSOME fun to be had with a 2hander warrior and I've still got 3 factions to recuit
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

It's official. Halo 1 is getting a remake.

This...might end well. Yet I have a feeling it might back fire.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 pm

L. Ron Altman: Why Dead Space 2 is a direct attack on Scientology- http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/l-ron-altman-why-dead-space-2-is-a-direct-attack-on-scientology.ars

...*giggles.* That's just precious. This wouldn't be the first time games have come under fire about being controversial, but in this case no one really cares since most know that Scientology is just a joke.
    SD
    SD

Post by SD Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Activision Axes Guitar Hero and True Crime- http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148687p1.html

"Today Activision Blizzard announced that it will "disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit" due to the declining interest in the music genre."

Or, maybe; and I'm going out on a limb here, people are fucking tired of a new Guitar Hero every six months. Once again Activision, you need new IPs instead of bleeding the ones you have dry. Call of Duty won't last forever.
    Blackwolf
    Blackwolf

Post by Blackwolf Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Guitar Hero is NOT a video game.
    that is all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:54 pm