Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+3
LyonPride
Lord Grey II
Koleyl
7 posters

Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies?

Koleyl

Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies? Empty Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies?

Post by Koleyl Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Me I like both worlds of hand-drawn animated movies and computer animated movies. Now with computers animated movies we can all agreed they raise in supreme in special effects and realistic visual effects. But with traditional hand-drawn and colored animated films they can appeal to our artistic side; like anything we can draw can come to life before our eyes. That's one thing computers can't do...unless your a computer artist.

So being a cartoon fan I like both styles of computer animated and traditonal hand-drawn cartoon movies.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies? Empty Re: Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies?

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm

What am I supposed to say here? You've left nothing for discussion. So...

Yes.
    Koleyl

Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies? Empty Re: Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies?

Post by Koleyl Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 pm

What do you mean Grey? Of course I did. I discuss what I like about both animated and computer animated movies. So now it's your turn. It's simple as that. Gee why do you always try to make problems for me? It's like you don't want me on this forum.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:48 pm

No no no, not that. Just pointing out that I wasn't sure what I was supposed to discuss.

I'm sorry I've made problems for you. Here, have some pie.
    Do you like computer animated movies? Or traditional cartoon movies? Applepie

Now. I love cartoons. I don't really like CGI stuff like Toy Story, but it's alright.
    LyonPride
    LyonPride

Post by LyonPride Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:58 pm

I say traditional cartoons.

A traditional cartoon lets the artist put a little of their heart into the work. A CGI looks pleasing to the eye, but in today's world of technology where everything is being made "better" by computers, do you really want to lose cartoons to them also?

Another point, traditional cartoons I find to be a day to day pleasure, turn on the TV and there one is. But a CGI is more of an indulgence that should be experienced every once in a while.
    Masterweaver

Post by Masterweaver Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Hand animation and computer animation have in fact been successfully combined on numerous occasions. I'm not exactly sure of the process, but flash animations--some of them anyways-- are somewhat indiscernible from hand-drawns. More advanced versions of that basic concept do exist, and we get what looks hand-drawn but is 3d, and vice versa.

THEY'RE THE SAME NARFING THING is what I'm trying to say here. It's acrylic versus oil; they're both paint.
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Ah, but incredibly different to those who know what they're talking about.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:58 am

Traditional animations and cgi is very different. Traditional animation involves drawing out each frame one by one very slowly (traditional animation typically takes much longer for this reason) and then painting those drawings frame by frame following that into cells. CGI is story boarded, character designs are made, and then the rest is done by building models on a computer.
    Koleyl

Post by Koleyl Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:29 pm

That's the problem with most animated film makers these days. They think that most people would prefer computer animated movies than the traditional hand-drawn ones. But according to Disney they are bringing back traditional cartoon movies with their newest movie the Frog Princess featuring their first black princess.
    CalDayton
    CalDayton

Post by CalDayton Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

CGI doesn't hold a candle to hand animation, or even honest to goodness special effects, for that matter. In my opinion it cheapens the whole experience of fantastic (resembling fantasy, not "really good") movies. CGI movies feel so plastic and shallow compared to even the cheesiest animation or SFX. Disney's Robin Hood, for example. The character animation was so poorly timed that it looked like they were sliding along the ground, but it had so much more heart than (ugh) Robots, or Bolt, or even the really good CGI movies like Finding Nemo.

Indiana Jones 4 is another good example. The CGI was actually relatively well blended with the actors and settings, but it was still distinctly "meh" compared to the first three movies. Come to think of it, the jungle scene was probably just one big blue screen, and deep down everyone knows it. It makes it just that much harder to suspend disbelief and really get immersed in the movie.

/rant
    Gast

Post by Gast Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:51 am

I like them both. Each one has its own way to impress me and to make me enjoy the movies I am watching. I am an anime-fan and really like the old ones. But with the new series with their new animations and even the full computer animation mavies are very good to watch. Like FFVII Advent Children or stuff like that.
    Lirren Shentai
    Lirren Shentai

Post by Lirren Shentai Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Personally, I am a fan of both...each has it's ups and downs....but like has been discussed for both sides here in the thread...you've gotta make it good or it's gonna fall flat, no matter what type of movie you're making. However, for my own film, I think I'd stick to CG, i.e. Final Fantasy cutscenes, because the 'morphs will look realistic in them that way....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 am