Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+9
TeenageAngst
Night Dragon
Pandora
gizagiza
Blackwolf
Teasealot
Keyou-bi
Nilo Kaal
Lord Grey II
13 posters

Let's talk about beliefs.

TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Let's talk about beliefs. - Page 4 Empty Re: Let's talk about beliefs.

Post by TeenageAngst Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:24 am

Pandora wrote:

I didn't say anything about abortion dude...

And I'm fine if you disagree with me, and I'm fine if you believe something different than me, that's alright. Not everyone believes the same thing. That's just respectful.

But do NOT tell me that my belief is an unjustified cop out. That is NOT respectful at all.

And I'd have you know that there are plenty of people of many religions who don't just sit on their asses and say "suffering is a part of life." There are lots that actually go to those areas of suffering and try to help. I'd like to ad that another of Buddha's teaching is "I do not believe in the fate of the man who acts, I believe in the fate of the man who does nothing." Meaning, action is more important than inaction. It is worse to see something going on and do nothing about it than to do something and have an undesired result. The fate that befalls the man that does nothing is his own fault.

I know you didn't mention abortions. Whether or not they count or "experience happiness" is up to you because I can't make up my mind. I'd be interested to hear your take on it though.

As for offending your beliefs, that specific belief is held by many religions, I wasn't targeting yours specifically. It's a way they can make an excuse for suffering with a supernatural being or force existing. I say I think it's a cop out because that's exactly what it sounds like, or more specifically a false dichotomy. There is not only suffering and happiness, and one does not necessitate the other. Most of the time is middle ground both physically and emotionally. One does not need to suffer to find pleasure. One *does* need to suffer a prolonged period of time to find pleasure in what was previously normal but in such a case no actual progress has been made.

And as for the last bit, I've always been one of those "I don't care about effort, I care about results" people. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Granted being able to help and not is probably the worst thing possible but going in there trying to help and making things worse isn't acceptable to me no matter the intentions.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

TeenageAngst, you are reading too much into the word Suffering, suffering can mean the bad times, the lean times, the times where happiness is not appropriate, not just pain, loss, hunger, war or the other forms of suffering that you seem to have locked onto.
    Coydog
    Coydog

Post by Coydog Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:39 am

The term "control" is a bit strong for my impression of Fate.

Just chalk it up to the things some might accept as coincidence, I look for a meaning and significance behind them. I still choose how to handle those things, what to do with them, but I believe they were put there for a reason. Alternatively, my choice may be an illusion, but then that destroys the idea of faith.

Also, I agree with Pandora on the point of "suffering", which is definitely not about children starving or abortion. A happy life needs obstacles to overcome, a struggle. Its more fulfilling that way, to me.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Also, I agree with Pandora on the point of "suffering", which is definitely not about children starving or abortion. A happy life needs obstacles to overcome, a struggle. Its more fulfilling that way, to me.

That's exactly the point.
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 am

*that* I can understand, but I guess I misunderstood "suffering".
    Keyou-bi
    Keyou-bi

Post by Keyou-bi Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

Sorry i had the horrible urge to word surf and then rant inanely about everything I came across, and generally satire the term. But then i got boared and a car drove by so that ended that...
    LastArcher

Post by LastArcher Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Indeed, I am an atheist, but I would like to force of course nobody my way of thinking.

Religion signifies which one believes in something. It can unite a number of people. At the same time they are also excluded from the other people who differently think. And I hope, one day all people will know they are the same. In spite of her different religious directions.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm

LastArcher wrote:Indeed, I am an atheist, but I would like to force of course nobody my way of thinking.

Religion signifies which one believes in something. It can unite a number of people. At the same time they are also excluded from the other people who differently think. And I hope, one day all people will know they are the same. In spite of her different religious directions.

But being able to think differently is important for diversity.
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:19 am

Just don't think too differently or they'll be calling you a radical. A liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:41 am

There's a difference between being different and being extreme. And there's nothing wrong with being Liberal. There are extremist liberals, but not all of them are. There's extreme conservatives too. There are extremes with everything.
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:26 am

Yeah, nothing wrong being a liberal, I'm of the classical variety myself. But at times, when all the world's asleep, the questions run too deep for such a simple man.
    Teasealot
    Teasealot

Post by Teasealot Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 am

TeenageAngst wrote:Yeah, nothing wrong being a liberal, I'm of the classical variety myself. But at times, when all the world's asleep, the questions run too deep for such a simple man.

TeenageAngst, you're coming across on here as a conservative, you're not a liberal. If anything upsets your Status Quo, you moan and scream.
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Really? I know it sounds absurd, but please tell me who I am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberal

Cause it sounds like that fits me pretty well.
    Coydog
    Coydog

Post by Coydog Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:03 pm

I've often joked about being a "moderate extremist", which really just means that my core political value is not being called Liberal or Conservative.
    God

Post by God Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44 am

I'm a communist.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 am

God wrote:I'm a communist.

Care to elaborate on that?
    TeenageAngst
    TeenageAngst

Post by TeenageAngst Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Communism is as communism does.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:04 pm