Broken Plot Device

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Plot Device

BPD readers & fans talking about stuff they like

+12
Drako
Arka
Pandora
Zombaholic
Slit
lost
Teh Chay
Aecas
padfootsm
Lizardbeth
DannyBoy
Shii
16 posters

Storyline Suggestions and Predictions

Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Page 4 Empty Re: Storyline Suggestions and Predictions

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:08 am

I'm sorry, Ninjas still win no matter what.

I'm gonna predict that we get a peek into Inix's universe and we get to see and understand the majic (TM) of the BPD universe! Very Happy
    Pandora
    Pandora

Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Page 4 Empty Re: Storyline Suggestions and Predictions

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:27 am

That's a decent prediction considering the where this current arc seems to be heading. Perhaps Wolves are important to some kind of plan Inix has for guarding the magic channels that supposedly flow through the apartment building and since Sylver is the only wolf there that she can get to, maybe that was her whole plan behind this date...
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:41 am

I'd bet its something to do more with Sylver's location than it does with the fact that he's a wolf.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:58 am

His location? What do you mean?
    Slit

Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Page 4 Empty Re: Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Pirates vs. Ninjas

Post by Slit Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 am

Mmmm...when it comes to pirates vs. ninjas, I think it depends largely on the circumstances. Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses. Both sides have raw recruits and veteran fighters. Generally though, only pirates have cannons. If the fight occurs anywhere near the pirate's ship, a round or two of chain shot or grape shot could quickly thin the ninja ranks. (Of course, depending on when and where it was fired, it might also thin the pirate ranks as well. Remember kids, friendly fire...isn't!) On the other hand, any place where the ninjas have had a chance to prepare an ambush, they will have a sizable advantage at least in the opening exchange of blows.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:02 am

It would be dangerous to try and fire cannons at the ninjas if they were already hidden on the pirate's ship. Twisted Evil
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Out of curiosity, why does everyone assume ninjas? According to the Inverse Ninja Law, of course a multitude of ninjas would fail to pirates. Only one ninja is necessary to take out whole fleets of pirates.
    Slit

Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Page 4 Empty Re: Storyline Suggestions and Predictions - Pirates vs. Ninjas

Post by Slit Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 pm

True enough, Pan. Of course, if the ninjas did that, the pirates would have the home turf advantage. The ninjas would need to score a decisive advantage in their opening attacks. Besides, a ship is a small space. You'd have to use experienced ninjas just to pull off such an attack, and to be fair (Someone has to be fair since neither the pirates nor the ninjas are going to want to play fair!) you'd need to ensure that the pirates were all similarly well experienced with plenty of cutlass-crossing boarding actions under their rope belts.

Grey is right though, and it's an important factor that the pirates might not realize they absolutely must factor into their tactics. The Law of Inverse Ninja Strength would almost certainly be the deciding factor. The pirates would have to be very careful to kill all of the ninjas at roughly the same time or else they'll discover that the sole survivor of the attack is the head of the ninja clan - a one ninja army of pure awesome. It would go very badly for the pirates after that.

Hmmm...you know, this also leads to the thought, if the above is true, then ninjas are a macroscopic quantum event. Like Schrödinger's cat, you can't know what you're facing until you start killing them. By attacking the ninjas, you collapse the wave form and either reveal they were all mooks by killing them all swiftly at about the same time, or you reveal that they had one incredibly powerful ninja among them when you fail to do so. There's a Nobel hiding in that idea somewhere!
    Wink
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 pm

True, except one other factor, as experienced in being piracy as any pirate may be, pirates have never really been very coordinated enough to efficiently wipe out a fleet of stealth and battle-trained ninjas. There's also the agility factor. A ninja is about ten times more agile than a pirate. There's also the decent possibility of the pirates, should they be caught off-guard, being drunk. They loves their rum, aye?
    Slit

Post by Slit Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:50 am

Hmmm...a fleet of battle trained ninjas? Well, you're clearly not referring to real life historical ninjas since they were trained as assassins with virtually no combat training in anything beyond one on one. They almost always lost when fighting a roughly equal number of samurai. Now, both Hollywood and anime ninjas sometimes have that kind of training, but then you're dealing with Hollywood or anime pirates. That narrows the agility gap somewhat and gives the pirates some compensating advantages.

Naturally I agree that pirates (especially Hollywood pirates) drink excessively are easy to kill once they've drunk themselves unconscious, but then so is anyone else. Killing someone in their sleep is a poor measure of skill - you might as well say "A ninja could win in a fight between them and a Delta Force member that was tied up." It's a true statement but proves nothing.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Of course I'm not talking about actual historical ninjas. If you really want to get historical, then Ninjas and Pirates shouldn't even be fighting. It would be more like Pirats vs. British/Spanish Navy and Ninjas vs. Samurai.

And how often to Ninjas go out on an assignment after having downed several pints of alcohol? They don't. How often to pirates go out after having downed several pints of alcohol? All the time. Before, during and after going to sea. Therefore, ya, it does have standing as an argument considering it gives the Ninjas an advantage as assassins and the ability to think with a clear head. Didn't say the pirates were tied up. Said they could be drunk. Being drunk and tied up are two different things. When you're drunk, you could flail about and do any number of things without thinking. Not very coordinated, but still capable of movement. Being tied up you can't move at all or do anything.

And please don't talk to me about what ninjas and samurai are like ok? You're speaking to someone of Japanese descent.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 am

Well if we're going by ancient ancestors...Teutonic Knights BABY!!
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 am

OO! I claim the Spartan army! I'm not Greek but as far as warriors in battle, I wanted to grab them on my side before anyone else.
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 am

Ancestors Pandy! I thought we were doing our ancestors. You've got the whole Japanese thingy going for you so I did my whole Germanic descent thingy. Comprendre?
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 am

*shuffles foot* fiiiine....I call the Samurai...
    DannyBoy
    DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 am

*Jumps around in glee like a ninny* YAY!!!!
    DataPacRat
    DataPacRat

Post by DataPacRat Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 am

DannyBoy wrote:Ancestors Pandy! I thought we were doing our ancestors. You've got the whole Japanese thingy going for you so I did my whole Germanic descent thingy. Comprendre?

Ancestor comparison? Oh, it's been a while since I did that... let's see, I've got English, Irish, Scottish, German, French, Russian, and Prussian... on the French side, there's a line that goes back to counts, which goes back to Charlemagne... which, according to the genealogies of the time, goes back to several famous Trojans of the Trojan War, which goes back to the gods themselves. I've counted the generations - according to the records, I'm Zeus's 120th-great-grandson.

So... what exactly /will/ happen when our wolfy fails in his task, and our froggy idol gets turned into a modern art project? Is it going to be the sort of dark shadowy evil involving cultists going "Ia!"... or something more in the form of a plush toy that is going to make you love it and hug it and call it George /no matter what/?
    Lord Grey II
    Lord Grey II

Post by Lord Grey II Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 am

I'm thinking more along the line of C'thuluhu F'tagn. Bad juju.
    DataPacRat
    DataPacRat

Post by DataPacRat Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am

Lord Grey II wrote:I'm thinking more along the line of C'thuluhu F'tagn. Bad juju.

Personally, I think C'thulhu has a rather over-inflated reputation. Just because /Lovecraft/ couldn't imagine someone being able to deal with the Big C without going insane, doesn't mean it really /would be/ impossible for /someone/. (Of course, from many perspectives, I'm already insane anyway, so my perspective might be slightly skewed...)
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 am

Hey man, don't bash the Lovecraft. Reanimator...badass...
    Slit

Post by Slit Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:41 am

Pfft. Who says real life ninjas couldn't fight real life pirates, Pan? Heh...don't feed me a line like that and then tell me I can't talk about what the Japanese are like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wokou

Anyway, my comment about the effectiveness of real life ninjas in combat had nothing to do with trying to lecture you. It was just me explaining my logic so it was obvious I wasn't just disagreeing to be a pain in the butt. Explaining myself is just a habit of mine. I shouldn't even have to get into how irrelevent one's ancestry is with regards to their knowledge of history. I'm not going to claim to know everything about the British, Scottish, or Native Americans. I'll even admit to not being an expert on post-colonial American history, though I'm not a total embarrassment on the subject.

Now, it's pretty clear you misunderstood what I said (you seem to have some trouble with analogies and metaphors), so lemme try again. Hollywood/anime pirates do drink a lot, but if they're still on their feet it rarely seems to negatively affect their skill in combat (and in some cases improves their skill) unless they drink enough to pass out. In other words, the alcohol only makes a difference in favor of the ninjas if we're 1) talking about real pirates, or 2) talking about pirates that have passed out.

Mmmm...now I do think I at least partly agree with DataPacRat. One thing to keep in mind about Lovecraft's stories was that when many of his stories were written was during the early days of movies. Back then some people fainted at the original portrayal of the werewolf in film, while most people today would find it pretty cheesy. Also, mental illnesses were still largely misunderstood. Freud was a contemporary of Lovecraft, so modern psychology was still barely off the ground. Don't misunderstand - I find the mythos interesting, and I'm not saying dealing with a shoggoth wouldn't be traumatic, but I'm not convinced the mere sight of any creature could drive a modern day person insane. Besides, Shub-Nigurrath is at least as scary as a giant squid-faced monster.
    Wink

Oh yeah, back on track - predictions...hmmm...well, I already predicted one kind of evil that could be unleashed, so I want to pose a question. Since Sunny isn't the violent type, how will she react to Sylver's (doubtless awkward) advances? I'm betting on her being pretty oblivious until he's finally forced to ask her to go out with him and she just turns him down with a smile, probably making a comment about how silly it would be for them to date - they have nothing in common.
    Pandora
    Pandora

Post by Pandora Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm

If you honestly think that I grew up without learning anything about my own heritage, you have another thing coming.

And I do not trust wikipedia so it has no standing with me.

And no, I have absolutely no trouble with analogies and metaphors. I just have trouble with people who talk down to me.

I'm going to predict that perhaps if Sylver ends up going along with this plan Inix has, he might end up getting mangled in comedic ways while trying to prevent her from nailing various dress clothes on Torgie. XD
    Slit

Post by Slit Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am

If you honestly think that I grew up without learning anything about my own heritage, you have another thing coming.

Did I say you grew up with no knowledge of your heritage? I said your heritage is irrelevant to your knowledge. Now if you have a degree in Japanese history, Asian history, or something of that sort, that is relevant.

And I do not trust wikipedia so it has no standing with me.

Fine then, I'll play that game.

http://www.123exp-history.com/t/03764335179/

http://www.indopedia.org/Wokou.html

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Wokou

That's just the first few. Take your pick.

And no, I have absolutely no trouble with analogies and metaphors.

Really now? So then you deliberately misunderstood me? Well, that clears that up! I'd had a feeling you've been spoiling for a fight because it's been years since I had such a hard time communicating simple concepts to someone else. So good to know I wasn't just being paranoid.
    Wink

I just have trouble with people who talk down to me.

I haven't talked down to you. I have disagreed with you, I have corrected you when you got something I said wrong, and when you tried to tell me what to do, I did exactly what I would do with anyone so pretentious and corrected you a bit less gently. I'm here to have fun, and you're making this is all far too serious for a simple discussion of ninjas vs. pirates. You don't have to lighten up, but you'll probably be happier if you do.

I'm going to predict that perhaps if Sylver ends up going along with this plan Inix has, he might end up getting mangled in comedic ways while trying to prevent her from nailing various dress clothes on Torgie. XD

Hmm...could be, though not intentionally by Sunny - she's seems too mild tempered to get upset over Sylver's shtick. Now accidentally, yes, that's quite possible. Among other things, she seems like she could have that whole "Oooh, don't know my own strength" thing going for her. To be fair to her, she's smart enough that she almost certainly does know her strength, but she seems like she could be absentminded enough to forget it from time to time. I imagine a full strength hug from her would be potentially hospitalizing.
    (^.^)
    Lizardbeth
    Lizardbeth
    Admin

Post by Lizardbeth Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Hey guys. Just want to remind everyone that we should be civil here. We may not always agree and obviously have different opinions on things. But I think it's safe to say that just because you don't agree with something someone else says, it's pretty rude to treat that person as less intelligent or educated. The phrase "agree to disagree" comes to mind/

We all need to remember that this is a forum to talk about things and enjoy ourselves. I appreciate the passion that some of you have for certain subjects, but lets not be (a) dismissive of other people's opinions or contributions, (b) overly defensive/aggressive towards others of differing opinions, or (c) insulting/condescending towards others (even unintentionally).

We all have bad days and off moments and sometimes word things poorly or in a manner that can be read in a way other than how we intended. Don't think I'm saying this to "someone else". Everyone should keep this in mind, and things will be smoother & more enjoyable for everyone.

In short: Don't make me turn this forum around and go home. Wink
    ZeWi
    ZeWi

Post by ZeWi Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Can't we all just get along? Lizardbeth's avatar is so adorable. I'm new to the forums. Yeah... not a place to make introductions. I think that Sid and Sunny would make an adorable couple. Yeah... my input is very helpful. I'll do better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 am